Extracting information for Automated Parts list

Pioneer
Pioneer

Here is the situation:

We sometimes have items (parts) we want listed on our drafts that we don't have in the model. We use a normal Table to create this list. This list is totally manual and often needs to be updated when we make revisions (add or remove parts) to the model. Thus there are additional or fewer parts and item numbers and we have to manually adjust the part numbers in the list. I want to be able to extract the code from the Automated Parts List for the last Item Number listed (see image immediately below). Then, I can take that code and use it to automatically update the item numbers in the manual table.

Automatic and Manual Parts Lists.JPG

I have figured out how to get the manual parts list to automatically update and renumber itself using the Variable Table, etc. I just need the code from the last item number in the Automatated Parts List.

Variable Table.JPG

Variable Rule Editor.JPG

Is this possible, and if so, will I need a script from VB?

Thank you for your help,

Gabriel

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8
6 REPLIES

Re: Extracting information for Automated Parts list

Phenom
Phenom

My question is -

Why don't you use a Parts List generated from the assembly instead of a manual table?

You can still add lines manually, but you can also create non-graphic parts and add them to your assembly and they will then appear in the parts list.

That's what we do for items such as adhesive, sealant etc.

We also create a model for some our wiring harness drawings and add that to our assemblies. It doesn't contain any solid but it enables us to place an empty view on the drawing and create a Parts List to which we can manually add items.

We can then run a macro that extracts Parts List information to a spreadsheet.

I see that one of your items is a label - how many times have you added it manually to a table?

One model of the label for use on any assembly is much quicker (it doesn't need a solid in the model if you never have to show it on the drawing)

We don't use the wire harness functions for cables but we will sometimes create a frame component in the assembly as a representation and to get an approximate required length.

All you need for that is a part file with a sketch containing a circle of the correct diameter for the cable.

Then create the frame path in the assembly and use the cable part file for the component cross-section.

I used to work at a company that created all their parts lists manually, from scratch, counting screws and washers etc.

I asked why.

"Because we haven't time to put all the properties into the files"

So they manually created the same text over and over again (although using copy and paste) instead of doing it once - they didn't even use a table, just text fields.

At my present company we endeavour to have a fully defined model.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Beachcomber,

That is a good question that I hadn't thought about in quite a few years. Some of our labels make it into many of our products. I think it may be because we don't want to maintain model files for all of our different laminates, adhesives, labels, etc.

I am not familiar with (nor do I think anyone in our engineering group is familiar with) a non-graphic part in an assembly. That may be a good if not the best solution for this problem. I see there are some posts on non-graphic parts that I will investigate.

One of our designers has recently started playing with the frame component for wiring. I will look ino that as well.

To give you a picture of where our company is, it has only been a few years now that we have included every piece of hardware in our assemblies. Some people here have a very difficult time with change. Paradigms run strong here.

I will see what I can do with my new found information. Thank you.

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8

Phenom
Phenom
Maintain non graphical parts is less time consuming than what you are doing to manually editing the tables every time and it is error free.

Just my 2 cent.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have finally been able to look into the non-graphic parts. This fixes one problem but leaves one problem and creates a new problem so I am no better off. I now have the unmarked balloons asterisk showing up in my BOM.

BOM.JPG

Unballooned items.JPG

We do not want to change this option because it helps us balloon every part. Is there another way around this?

The other problem it didn't solve was the note still needs to be updated every time we add or subtract a part. Ergo, the solution to that still requires the code from the last line in the automated BOM.

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, the asterisk is a problem that we also encounter.

I leave it on untill all graphic parts have been balooned, then change the setting in the parts list properties to turn it off.

I think I've have submitted IR's for baloon enhancements some time ago and one of them was to allow balooning of non-graphic parts. Another was to allow the baloon to use an over-ridden item number value. (This is because our clients want a mix of letters and numbers for items in the parts list - numbers for items detailed on that drawing, letters for items detailed on other drawings and for 'standard' parts)

With regards to the note - I believe that in ST7 you can link an annotation value into a note, so if you add baloons for the non-graphic parts (will have to be not linked to the parts list) you might be able to extract the number from those.

There is a recent thread about it on here somewhere.

I will see if I can find it.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Phenom
Phenom

This is the thread

Item number on individual draft sheet -

LINK

There is a link on the second-last post (from Imics) to the help file

HELP

Don't know if this gives what you want though as I don't use ST7 yet.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000