Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding a closed shape on a curved surface error

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm trying to extrude a portion of a body of a part by creating a sketch, projecting it onto the body, and then extruding the inner area outward, but every time I do this I receive an error that simply says "Operation Unsuccessful". No matter what, I can't seem to find a solution to this error anywhere online. I'll attach an image with the error I receive and the part I'm attempting to extrude.

4 REPLIES

Re: Extruding a closed shape on a curved surface error

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Looks like this might be scanned data or some sort of RE... 

I wonder if the "normal" protrusion is causing the issue... 

Have you tried to simply protrude to a finite distance?   

and/or

Instead of projecting from..   consider projecting to...

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the quick reply. The normal protrusion is the only way I can find that I can protrude normal to the face of the part by using a "curve" as input, that "curve" being the sketch on the surface of the body. The normal protrusion is supposed to protrude to a finite distance outward from the object but I only receive the error every time. I'm not quite sure how I can project to, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

For reference, a normal protrusion should do something like this.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

yea,  I understand the concept of the Normal protrusion and this is why I suspect it's failing.  I'm guessing that the face the curve lies on is not a BREP face and thus the math cannot be computed.  

Maybe offset your curve the desired distance and try Blue Surf to create a loft... 

Or as I suggest a finite length protrusion.   you can offset your surface and then use replace face...?

to Project to:  try to create a plane normal to your surface but not within the body of the part and then from the plane project down to the body...    with this too, you would then most likely use a replace face of an offset face to trim the planar face. 

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter

The blue surf and loft seemed to do it. Thanks for the help.