FEA Simulation

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi.

I have been using Solid Edge for a few weeks now and I am getting used to it.  I have also used advanced tools like sheetmetal and frame design.

I am now looking at FEA.

I think I am doing it right, but I cannot find out where or how to change the factor of safety.

On the generated report the FOS doesn't show anything.

I have attached an image of the motor adaptor I am working on.  I only need to run the simulation on that part.

1.  As its a weldment I glue the connections.

2. If I attached a bolt-on plate and the dummy motor I can choose bolt connections, but to solve the FEA I have to make them glues connections.  Why is this?

3. Also to run the FEA I have to define all of my assembly including bolt-on plate and dummy motor.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help will be greatly recieved.

15 REPLIES

Re: FEA Simulation

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe once you have your results, on the Color Bar tab of the ribbon, select the "User-Defined Scale" option in the Scale section and set the scale factor you want (i.e. "2").

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi.

Thanks for the info.

Initially it is set to

Min: 2.28e-025

Max: 65.4

Model looks ok.

When I change it to

MIn: 2

Max: 3

It turns red: I assume bad.

What am I doing wrong?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would set the min to zero and your max to three.  The color bar shows based on color where your nodes FOS value is, not that it is bad.  It means that with your 3 max scale, most of your nodes meet a factor of safety of 3.  You can invert your color bar if you want to put red at the min FOS scale and magenta to the max FOS scale if you associate red with "bad"...

Thanks,
Ken

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Grundey.

Surely, whether you invert or not, if your model is the colour of your max figure then it is still bad, or am I missing the point.

I am just starting out using FEA so I may be mis-understanding.

Please find images attached.

Image 1 show the default figures.

Image 2 shows min-0 and max-3

Pioneer
Pioneer

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazzie  Factor of Safety plots works opposite of Stress plots in that higher is good and means lower stress.

FOS = ultimate_stress / actual_stress

So if the Ultimate Stress for 1060 Aluminum is 10 ksi and my node is experiencing a stress of 5 ksi, then:

10/5 = 2 FOS

Likewise, if my node is experiencing a stress of 10 ksi, then:

10/10 = 1 FOS

Likewise, if my node is experiencing a stress of 20 ksi, then:

10/20 = 0.5 FOS

With FOS, anything above a FOS of 1 is a non-failure, anything below 1 is a failure.

Here is the Help page explaining this...
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uidSmiley Tonguelot2a

Thanks,
Ken

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Grundey.

I think it has suddanly sunk in.

The higher my max figure (the red starts to disappear) the better the safety factor.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Dazzie, referring to your screenshots I believe you should select 'Stress' & 'Factor of Safety' in the Plot drop-down options. Then you will understand Grundeys answer better.

Good luck.

/Ulf

2017-07-26 13_42_10-Re_ FEA Simulation - Siemens PLM Community - 420691.png

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Ulf Eriksson.

Thanks for your help.  It does seem make sense now, I think.  Please see attached image.

As I have mentioned before I am new to FEA and I will be getting some formal training, I just want an understanding about solid edge FEA.

As you can see I have set my scale min1 & max 3.  If I understand correctly it is good. 

To get the model to start to fail I need to change my max figure to 100.

Does this mean the safety factor is about 100?