Solved! Go to solution

FRAME coping round tube end conditions

I'm not that experienced in frame, and I need something different from what I currently am able to get as an end result. When using round pipe for handrails, the areas where say the midrail runs into a post, I need coped, but more specific than that. I need the coped tube to be short of the center. I need the pipe to only go beyond the start of the post 3/8". Here, this will make it much easier see screenshot below.

0 - coping.JPG

I can get it to cope, or I can get it to come to where I need it, but I can't seem to get it to do both without adding a cutout in the assembly level.  I need the pipe to cope AND only go 3/8" past the outer surface of the post. Is there any way to accomplish this using frame without adding extra cutouts?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
8 REPLIES

Re: FRAME coping round tube end conditions

Hi there @nominus38,

I'm sure if there is a way, then @Craig_H will know it.

A good "ER" though, as it would be good to have an option to use the internal face [if there isn't already], for its length/coping in frame, to get this result.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I'm not super familiar with frames either as it won't do what I need. (able to export individual files while still being associative). Frames seems a bit limited, to me it's more designed for those that build parts off of prints and saw cut the tubing. I have my tubing lasered and need individual files for each tube.

In the frame options dialog you can enter a negative value (-0.375")in the frame extend option.

That's the option below corner round in the Corner Treatment Options.

That combined with coping on will shorten the frame.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

it won't do what I need. (able to export individual files while still being associative)

^^^^^^ +1
===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Hi @beachcomber

this is what I also thought to be the solution, but it doesn't provide a proper result.

Either You use the offset value to shorten the second frame - but then it will not be trimmed back correctly,

20170316_1220.PNG

or You use the trim and disengage option but then the second frame will be set back to the center.

20170316_1221.PNG

Do we miss something?

regards
Wolfgang
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author nominus38
‎03-16-2017 11:34 AM

Is this what you want? It's pulled back and trimmed.

That's what I did - but with the coping option on.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Hi @Sander-GPI

great!

This is exactly what I did, excapt I did it in 2 different frame groups, so the coping didn't work properly.

I thought this also should work from single frame component to amother single frame component, but it doesn't.

regards
Wolfgang