Face relate issues in assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi guys,

I'm attempting to create assemblies with imported files found from manufacturer websites that were converted from STEP to part files, and in certain parts flashfit along with other specified functions won't recognize faces, planes, or lines. In fact, all it will recognize are center points of circles. However, some parts in the assembly don't have the same issue, and will mate with each other just fine. Any advice?

12 REPLIES

Re: Face relate issues in assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

This is all on ST8 by the way

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can you upload one of the bad parts?  Hard to point to a cause from an explanation...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Like Ken said, it would be easier to tell if there was an uploaded file to look at. My first guess is that the faces/planes for the imported parts may be surfaces, not true faces/planes and the lines may be curves. One way to check is to use Inquire Element to see what type of geometry is reported.

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter

Siemens Phenom

Looking at the part, the "planes" are b-spline surfaces and the "lines" are b-spline curves as I suspected.

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm unclear on what that means and why it affects assemblies?

Siemens Phenom

Assembly relationships such as mates, planar aligns, etc. rely on the faces being true planes, not a planar surface. This also holds true for other commands that require a plane as input. So, when looking for planes, those faces are not responding to the selection request since they are not true planes but are surfaces. Even though the surface looks like a plane, it does not respond to plane requests.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix this? Or should I just attempt to recreate the part?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It means the lines are not lines but instead curves.  It means the surfaces are not planes but instead curved surfaces (curvature could be zero).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3