Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family of Parts tab missing

Good evening!

I appear to have run into a rather curious problem when I planned to make myself a family of parts.

I have in vain searched every little crook and cranny of SolidEdge to locate a working "Family of parts" tool that apparently should sit in a tab next to the PathFinder. As you can see from the attached pictures, I neither have the Family of Parts tab referred to by all guides and how-to's I can find.

I did manage to find a "Family of Parts" tool using command finder (see attached picture), but when I hit it, it is about the same as punching Escape to cancel the command. No tool starts, no tab magically appears, i.e. nothing (of interest) happens. The prompt bar prompts me to "Select geometry or features to edit, or click on 'Solids' commands to create 3D features", i.e. the same as before clicking the "Family of parts" icon in the command finder search list.

I run SE ST10 (I cannot find the specific version number, happy to provide it if anyone can advise where it can be located). 

I would really appreciate any hints or pointers as I very much would like to find the command.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES

Betreff: Family of Parts tab missing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @joakimtrobeck

OK, nothing difficult, probalbly You have turned off this tab of the pathfinder.

Go to the small arrow in any open tab of the pathfinder and see wether the line for the Family of Parts is tunred on

If not then click it to turn it on and You will see it.

You will find the same menu under the View Tab on the left side under "Panes"

20180120_1947.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, @hawcad

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I forgot to include the picture of my dropdown. I do apologise, and I do appreciate your suggestion. However, as you can see, I do not have the Family of parts icon in the drop down either in the pathfinder or in the view-Pane section.

SEST10 Family of parts tab missing from list.PNG

HI @joakimtrobeck

OK, let me ask further questions:

• which license do You have in use?
    But I don't think that this might be a reason, since I also have tested it with a D&D license
  • Try to rename/delete the CurrentUser entry of Your Solid Edge to see wether it could be a false/corrupt setting 
  • Try to rename/delete the Solid Edge directory in Your %appdata% folder, since there also are stored settings regarding Your user interface

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @joakimtrobeck

or try to log with a different user account!

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @hawcad

License - Premium (I believe. I do have simulation features). I am a one-man operation so I am not 100% into all the details of SE settings.

I have tried to delete the AppData folder. It did have an effect, but not a positive one. It now looks like this:

After AppData-folder for SE deleted.pngAfter deleting AppData/Unigraphics (...)/SolidEdge folder

I have also discovered that my User Profile entries into Solid Edge options reset (to empty) every time I restart the programme, and that the arc smoothness setting defaults to 3 every restart of the programme as well (regardless of my settings before.

ArcSmoothness.pngUserSettings.PNG

With respect to your second point, I am not sure of where to change the CurrentUser entry of SolidEdge. Would you be so kind as to advise?

Thanks.

Joakim

Hi @hawcad

Signing in with a different user account did the trick, I got the family of parts feature there. However, it is not a viable solution in the longer run I am afraid, but at least I have had progress.

Hi @joakimtrobeck

the change of user IMHO shows, that the problems are in Your CurrenntUser registry settings.

So therefore I would suggest to rename (or if You want to delete) this branch of the registry

This would result in a new default setting after the next start.

Same as with Your new second user.

This was my original indent.

Any changes in registry always are in behalf of Your own.

And regarding Your second question:

The display quality of SE always and for every user is set back to 3 when starting SE new.

One of the most annoying issues we have.

See several similar posts.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @hawcad

Registry modification tried and tested with great success, in NEW parts!

Edit: Also works in several existing parts.

However, in my most critical part file (for family of parts functionality) the issue remains - Family of parts is missing.

I believe my sunday morning  confusion has reached new, unexpected levels...

Hi @joakimtrobeck

this is what sounds strangest.

Either the tab is there or it is not there.

I never have seen any difference in tabs visibility depending on single parts

This is what I see queer at the moment

regards
Wolfgang