Solved! Go to solution

Family of Parts, use master part variables to define member part dimensions?

I'm using Family of Parts to create of a number of member parts based on a master.  It would be very convenient if I could define certain dimensions for the members using the variable names defined in the master part variable table (e.g. member dimension = 2*V2598, where V2598 is a dimension in the master part table).  Is that possible?

Thanks!

Pat

6 REPLIES

Re: Family of Parts, use master part variables to define member part dimensions?

No. I have tried. The best you can do to use variable information in draft is display whatever number you have in variable as annotation. 

It is even imposible to display any variables in a table on a cell by cell basis.

Only using a one variable/part scheem can you get variables to show up in tables at all. So like the parts list. You can display about any variable you want as long as you are ok with displaying that variable for every part.

I origionally wanted to set up parts using XYZ dimensions for part numbers. Not a chance.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author pkelecy
‎09-02-2016 08:06 AM

Re: Family of Parts, use master part variables to define member part dimensions?

There is no master variable or member variables... Only the variables.  If you want to use a factor like that per member, create 2 user variables such as "MyMultiplier" with a value of "1" for member A and a value of "2" for member B and a "FixedValue" variable for what you want to be the "master" value.  Then for the variable you wanted to control, set it's formula equal to: "FixedValue*MyMultiplier".  Now you can control that per member by a multiplier.

2016-08-25_17-13-13.png

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Thanks for the replies.

I was guessing there was no direct way of doing what I was wanting (except possibly with peer variables).  But your suggestion, Ken, was a reasonable work around. So that's the way I went.

It doesnt seem like making variables from the master part availabe for use in the edit table would be that hard to do.  Off hand, I can't see any problems that would cause.  Probably not a common request though, so I don't expect to see it any time soon.

Thanks again.

Pat

The problem is that there is no "master" part.  You only have a "member" part applied at any given time...

Ken Grundey

Grundey wrote:

The problem is that there is no "master" part.  You only have a "member" part applied at any given time...

What about the part that contains the edit table?  Isn't that essentially the master part?

Yes, it is a "master" in that it drives the published Part Copies but as far as a config in the parent file that is a "master" config untouched by the member changes, there isn't one.  Your only option is to apply a "member" after you make it a FOP.

Ken Grundey