Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family of parts??? I think

Experimenter
Experimenter

Good morning.

I would like to know if it is possible to create a master part in solid edge that is linked to several slave parts?

The slave parts shape would change if the master part is change but not their file properties. The master part will be used to generate the draft drawings. If you revise the master part the slave parts must change to the new revision.

For example, I have a shaft that can be made from several different materials. I want the master part to be the designed part of which the draft drawing is created from and the slave parts to each have different materials that they can be used in assemblies. From which I can generate a BOM and use in our ERP system without too much manual changing of the BOM.

Currently Im not using a PDM software so when we create a BOM, I export it into Excel and manually change the material spec and other properties. This is a tedious process and has alot of risk.

I really would like to know if something like this can be done in solid edge or in a PDM software like teamcenter?

5 REPLIES

Betreff: Family of parts??? I think

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Ryguy

for me this sounds as You can do this via Family Of Parts functionality.

Creating the Family Master and saving its children will let You open every child to change the material and file property.

Now You can use them wherever You need them.

But You also can use the associative (traditional) Copy Of Part feature what will finally bring You the same result.

But I would suggest to send the used part with the correct file properties to the draft and assembly.

Otherwise You will not have any associative information for BOM

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @hawcad

I cant seem to link the material properties to the different family members. Once I change the material it changes on all the members created. 

Also the exposed variables I use to populate the BOM are not pulling through to the child parts.

I can get around this by opening each child part created, adding the PMI and exposing the variables and then change the material.

But the problem comes in when I create a revision. The company I work for, new revision new part name (file name includes the revision number). This means new child parts where I need to add the material specs and exposed variables again. 

Is there something I am missing while creating the family of parts? or is this how the family of parts work?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Ryguy

no, You are not missing to much.

Yes YOu have to define Your properties witihn the children files.

BUt done once You can use the Solid Edge BuildInDataManagment functionality to further revise those parts together with their drqaings etc.

So You do not have to repeat this definition after done once.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I do this all the time, but not using family of parts. I jsut copy the assembly and re-use and re-size and re-gage. Setting up sheet metal gages to be adjusted can be tricky.

I use assembly planes as the master controls.

Then I make sheet metal parts that use assembly planes to drive sketches.

In that way. I have re-sizable sheet metal driven by the assembly and relations to other parts and sheet metal.

But here is the cost: I keep the assembly, draft, and re-sizable parts all together in one directory.

When I need that same design but a different size, I copy the entire set of files using revision manager. 

In my case, say I have assembly 123, with parts B1, B2, E1, E1, and F1

The new copy of that set of files, will also have parts B1, B2, E1, E2, F1.

This can cause problem with a managed system. I have about 5000 files with the name B1. each in a different directory,

This can easily cause problems with file management systems. I work in an unmanaged environment.

edit---I attached an example file of assembly plane driven sheet metal parts.

Move plane X1, Y1 & Z1, see what happens to the model and  the draft when you let them update.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Maybe using Property Manager from the FOP master to set the material will help with material.

You may have to add the column to Property manager.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com