Family of parts and synchronous features

Genius
Genius

I have created a model and want to show it in various states. I made the part in synchronous and want to now remove some synchronous features using a family of parts, but there seems not way to do so. The help file was very ambiguous.

The red text below is from the help file.

Synchronous construction features can be included in a member. If a synchronous construction feature is displayed when the member is populated, then the construction feature is included in the populated member. All construction surfaces (synchronous and ordered) are included together in a constructions part copy feature in the populated member.

I created a new family part with all the features active. Then I selected a feature, right mouse clicked and chose "detach". Then as the help file suggest I ceaated a new family memer with the feature detached. That worked, but it also made the fisrt member detach the same feature.

Is there a way to suppress a synchronous feature in a family part member?

There is no "Suppress" or "Add Suppression Veriable" option for a synchronous feature like there is in ordered.

I think my only option is to make a part copy and delete the features I do not want.

Any help on this matter would be greatfully received.

8 REPLIES

Re: Family of parts and synchronous features

Phenom
Phenom

Synch is not hystory based, so "NO"...

Again a good raison to leave synch in the corner.  Man Embarassed

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
A hybrid part may be the best approach in this situation. Create the base shape in Sync ( wont be suppressed) and then switch to ordered and add the features you will be suppressing in your family of parts.

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Phenom
Phenom

There goes the flexibility...

Most of the time I start with an assembly. Then the client tells the extra needs.

So, now please make this in version X, Y, Z,...

OK, I will redesign my part in synch+trad and create the kids.

Sigh...

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Family of Parts needs a total rehaul anyways.  Needs to be more like Family of Assemblies where parts are not populated out and kept in the same file. 

SW will reign king in this department until Solid Edge does something better with FoP.

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

MLombard
Retired
@scott_lester, I don't know. 'Works has so many serious problems with configurations, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to that.
Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Its a software program so its bound to.  BUT the methodology and feature they have built around configurations is way ahead of SE.

But I wont turn this into a FoP sucks thread.  I love SE way more than SW, I just wish Siemens would work with someone who actually uses FoP and SW congifs daily and build around that.  There is absolutely no reason why we should have to populate a family member into a part copy in order to use it.  It should all be kept within the SAME file.  Instead we have to have a filing system where each part gets its own folder because of the populating of members.

Capture.PNG

^^^Those are all family members of an o-ring that changes in cross section and I.D.

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

FoP shines when you are using a PDM/PLM system.  Having one master file that represents many discreet "virtual" parts is a royal pain in them as most can't handle it.  FoP does not have this issue...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Genius
Genius

Thank you for the response. I had already made the part and now find that it needs these differing configurations. If I knew I was going to go down this track then I would have simply created it in Ordered. But the flexibility of Sync at the time of making the part was the deciding factor.

I use SW on a daily basis and I have had no problems at all with configurations at all. On the project I am working on at present there are a good 3 to 4 configurations on most of the parts I am using. It is simple and easy to use.

Solid Edge is a fantastic program but there are aspects that they have left behind in my opinion. FOP and Frames are two major areas where I feel a lot more work needs to be done. All well and good bring out fancy new features with each and every upgrade. What about improving what you have first, or at least as well as.

Thank you all for your input, I take it from the response that FOP does not handle synchronous features. I will mark this as answered.