Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family of parts - varable value in property manager

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

I have some very simple parts that I want to have as a family of parts, I do however want to have the variable value that sets the members apart included in the member properties title or into a custom property... 

So for instance, I the variable "Length", in member X the variable Length=100.0 and in member Y Length = 300.0.

I then want the Title property for member X to state "XXXXX 100.0" and member Y to state "YYYYY 300.0". I know I can do this manually after all the members are populated, but I would like to have it done automatically...

Is this somehow possible in ST10?

-Eivind Hansen-
ST10 (110.00.00.107 x64)
9 REPLIES

Betreff: Family of parts - varable value in property manager

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @EivHans

AFAIK there is no way to do this, but - to be honest - I personally would also not suggest to do so.

I have a long used rule which works very good for me and others:

"Do not put any dimension value into any document name/file name as well as for any feature name within the pathfinder!"

Suppose You already have a part xxxx with a momentan used length of 300.

But what's about YOu have to change this length to 305mm

Do also rename this part now, or do You only change the length but keep the name?

Both is no real good solution.

Let me suggest to use propertries instead, what now with St9 dn ST10 even is better supported and usable with Fast Search

Length is an exposed property (better variable) which automatically is usable via explorer, open dialog, for bom etc.

And it always is correct!

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi and thanks for the reply...

I am not talking about putting any dimension value into the document name/file name, the document number/file name is unique (running number – auto generated from another source than SE) , I want this variable value to be included into properties as I mentioned... and not necessary the “Title” property, an custom property will also do the trick… I can do this with any normal part, and have made a template which have all my custom properties and so… works great… But the populated members in a family do not show these properties-…

-Eivind Hansen-
ST10 (110.00.00.107 x64)

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Can you ask your reseller to make that an enhancement request?

Would a macro be a solution?

The macro would need to be used instead of the built in populate.

For each member
  apply member
  populate member
  copy specified properties to child
Next

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @EivHans

OK sorryy for my misunderstanding, I realy thought about filenames.

So what You are ooking for is the automatic expose of an variable/dimension in a set of children parts from a part family.

As @JasonTitcomb already mentioned, this seems not to be a matter of "tunring an option to ON", but might be achieved by a small macro or tool.

I can imagine my maindim macro to be enhanced for using the longest model box dimension to be exposed as length for example.

This could work,I think.

Will see

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

This would be a really good enhancement - the automatic copying of all exposed variables & their values used to define the family member from the master to the FOP member part file when the member is populated or updated.

You can do it manually now using property manager in the FOP master file - it will list all the member parts.

Expose the variables you want to copy.

Open Property Manager.

Add the exposed variables columns to property manager.

Enter the values.

Unfortunately you can't keep property manager open while the FOP table is open, or while you change the active family member, so it could be a bit tedious if you have a lot to do. I screen snip of the FOP table would be an option then just read off the values.

EDIT: Just reallised this creates a property not a variable, so maybe not what you want.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The best solution I have found for variable length parts is to make a drawing that represents the part at any length.

Then display the length of the part in the parts list as a cut length.

In that case, any length item does have the same part number, but with a cut length listed in the parts list has to be used to complete the part number in other systems.

Legend
Legend

Is there any chance that you can use an adjustable part to obtain what you're looking for, rather than a family of parts?

Creator
Creator
beachcomber wrote:

You can do it manually now using property manager in the FOP master file - it will list all the member parts.

EDIT: Just reallised this creates a property not a variable, so maybe not what you want.

I am aware of this function, and it is a possible solution, but it will be a manual task to add and to update if changed - I'm lazy and want this to be done automatically... In ProEngineer/Creo this would not be an issue at all... (Creo was a pain in the a*s in many other ways though... Smiley Tongue)

12GAGE wrote:

The best solution I have found for variable length parts is to make a drawing that represents the part at any length.

Then display the length of the part in the parts list as a cut length.

In that case, any length item does have the same part number, but with a cut length listed in the parts list has to be used to complete the part number in other systems.

I do not need to have a drawing of the part, it is only to be used in the assembly (pre-cut material from sub-supplier). We have a lot of nearly identical parts, and every now and then we make small changes that affects the dimensions on many of these parts - so I want it to be east to change, but also I need the dimensions to be shown in the file browser to ease the component selection process when making new assys with these parts. This due to the  file names is a auto generated number with no logic - hence no info regarding part type or size...

Trikefreak wrote:

Is there any chance that you can use an adjustable part to obtain what you're looking for, rather than a family of parts?

Well yes, but this will not allow me to keep the unique file name for each part - and that is a must have...

Guss this will need to be some sort of macro function.... :-) 

Thanks for your thoughts guys...

-Eivind Hansen-
ST10 (110.00.00.107 x64)

Legend
Legend

"Well yes, but this will not allow me to keep the unique file name for each part - and that is a must have..."

Then I suggest putting that adjustable part within an assembly. Here you save assemblies for each unique file name. We do this with hundreds, or thousands, or parts that use the same raw material, but needs cut to specific sizes.