Family of parts

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I created a part with 8 memebers and put it on a draft. if i try to select another memeber, the draft does not get updated? i don't see why not.

anyone an idea?

thx, Johan

12 REPLIES

Re: Family of parts

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

The master part file should "never" be used for drafts or assemblies.  Once you create the master part file, you have to save out (populate) each member into their own part file.

Have you done that?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What you attached is not a family of parts. It's just a part and a draft. A family of parts will consist of the member parts (as you indicate) which are associated to the master part.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

No, but wasn't that the great thing about family of parts? having 1 file and just select what version you need? I don't want to replace all parts in my assembly when i need a bigger version of the part...

In de part attached there are different members, no?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No. Members are separate files with links to the master part. In this case you'd have 9 files - one master and 8 members.

I've never been a big fan of how SE handles this. Solidworks has part configurations so all the variables can reside in one part.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to have no seperate files, just 1 part (same model, but different dimensiosn) and be able to select a prefered size, and have that updated on the accompanying draft?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I wish. But, no. That is what SW does.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

In certain instances it's nice to have separate files. i use family of parts in a few jobs i do, it does the job. Lets say you need a cutout on one part that doesn't affect the others, i'll add it to that file to save clutter in the Master file. Master file controls variable features in the file. Remeber, even knowing you have all these seperate files, you still control it with one file, the Master

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not to belabor the point (because these facts don't do anybody any good unless SE development sees these posts) but in SW suppression or not of that cutout becomes part of the configuration so you still only need one part.

Bruce Shand

Nope.  Family of parts HAVE to be populated out.  And if you ever update the master, then whatever members the changes affect will have to be repopulated :/  It it REALLY annoying.  What is wierd is, Family Of Assemblies do NOT get populated out to be able to use in another assembly.

So if you use configurations heavily like we do at my business then we had to set up a very strict file structure.  EVERY part has its own folder.  This is because populated files get put where the master file is.  Also the master file MUST have the suffix "_master" after the filename (EX: 12345_master.prt.  The master file is to NEVER be used in an assembly (because it takes on the form of the last saved active family member).  It is also to never be used to link to a draft.

Capture.JPG

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments