Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Search from NAS

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

I just tested a new approach for using Fast Search from a NAS box, which as far the info is at the moment, is not possible. Or at least isn't possible that easy.

My current approach at the moment is, to use this NAS disc space via iSCSI connection to a windows computer.

So far my first test was surprisingly great.

First connection iSCSI to a Win10 workstation worked great and fast (even faster than the common used network drive from the same NAS), and - Yeah - indexing and fast search is working pretty fine.

So my next testwill be to see how or wether this local workstation indexing can be used from a shared connection to this drive.

Will keep You informed as soon as I have results

regards
Wolfgang
13 REPLIES

Re: Fast Search from NAS

@hawcad  The iSCSI connection is a direct attached storage protocol similar to installing a hard drive in your workstation, thus your workstation OS provides the file management functions in addition to the indexing.  This is exactly how we have our Windows Server set up (our storage space is an iSCSI attached LUN from our SAN).  Since it is treated as direct attached storage controlled by Windows Server, itis indexed and shared with the Windows workstations when mapped to them as a network location or mapped drive.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

IIRC you cannot share a Windows Search index from client to client.  In order to use a shared index you must have a Windows Server operating system installed and use the "Windows Search Server" function.

Hi @uk_dave

thanks for clarification about indexing.

So if there is no specific windows server to take about this indexing there is no possibility to get it, isn't it?

And, another issue is/was, that the connection to that server space only is allowed via UNC and not vie mapped drive, correctly?

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom

@hawcad to answer your questions...

So if there is no specific windows server to take about this indexing there is no possibility to get it, isn't it?

To best of my knowledge and understanding there is no way to share an index from a remote machine to a local machine without having Windows Search Server installed. Over the years I have personally experimented with different methods to accomplish/trick a client machine to index a networked share. All of my attempts have been unsuccessful to date other than the expected Windows Search Server.

And, another issue is/was, that the connection to that server space only is allowed via UNC and not vie mapped drive, correctly?

For BIDM we would expect you to use UNC paths. Additionally, aside from Solid Edge, you should not being using mapped drives anyway. Mapped drives are notorious for introducing stability issues to your system. UNC paths (Network Location folders) provide a much better, more stable connection than mapped drives.

Hi @uk_dave

thanks for giving this answer, even it will not provide the wanted solution, but this is not Your task.

Anyway, I have seen many installations out, where people are using NAS boxes as storage sysstems for their data, without having them connected to a Windows Server System.

It woul dbe great and a big helper, if Solid Edge BiDM would be able to make use of them too.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad

As you know from my post - https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/ST10-Testing-amp-Fast-Search/m-p/44... - we are hoping to move from a NAS system to Windows Server.

My testing shows massive performance increase for 'where used' using BIDM FastSearch as against Rev Manager type search.

This video (linked on the same thread) https://youtu.be/R-UrGQOj2Yc?t=1141 from Ally PLM shows 2 ways of setting up fast search - local and server.

It seems to indicate that using cloud-based file storage location (example shown is DropBox) is the same as local and looks like the index is built locally on your workstation.

Maybe @uk_dave could explain a bit more on how this works, and if you could define your NAS storage location in this way.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

@beachcomber

In response to your comment about the Dropbox set-up shown in our Youtube video for BiDM, you are correct in that the indexing is configured on each individual user's local copy of the dropbox utilizing the Windows Indexing on that same local machine.  I do not have experience with a NAS system however.

Phenom
Phenom

@beachcomber I have experimented with the DropBox BiDM solution and it is basically indexing the files on your computer's local drive. Everything that is set to be synched in the DropBox is stored on your local drive and any changes made are synch'd up to the Cloud. So essentially, in a workgroup, everyone has the database on the their local drive.

This works well, but it requires you to have sufficient space on your local drives to accommodate your entire SE database. I have been learning more about DropBox and it seems to be a pretty good solution. You can recover previous file versions easily and since the files reside on your local drive, speed is great. There are some features that are only available in the upgraded, business DropBox (not sure of their precise naming). 

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Siemens Phenom

@beachcomber Dropbox and other cloud storage solutions do not just store the files on a server but also store copies of  those same files locally to your system.  Therefore you are not indexing remote server files but are in fact indexing local copies of the files.

You can achieve this same effect with files stored on a  NAS simply by making the files available offline on the client.  However, this then stores a copy of the files locally on the client system à la Dropbox.  However, if you have a multi- Gb server store do you really want to also be copying all these files locally to your workstations?