Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Fastest way to create copies of drawings/files but with new materials?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello all,

This is more of a "best working practice" question i'd be interested to see how others work.

Lets say I have a drawing ExampleDraft1.dft that is linked to ExampleSM1.psm. Lets say this sheet metal file is made from Stainless Steel. 

But lets say this drawing has lots of details that would take a lot of time to re-draw and is linked to Job 1.  Now say I need the same part and drawing, but to be made out of Mild Steel and linked to a new job, Job 2.

If I want to create a new drawing "ExampleDraft2.dft" that will be linked to ExampleSM2.psm, where ExampleSM2.psm is an exact duplicate of Example1.psm but made out of Mild Steel, my question is what is the fastest way to essentially copy the first drawing, but replace the link with the new part?

What I have currently been doing is copying and pasting the first drawing, replacing the link to the second file and updating. Which is fine for 1 part, but I have to do this for large amounts of parts and assemblies, so wondered if anyone knew of a faster way to do this?

I hope this makes sense.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Fastest way to create copies of drawings/files but with new materials?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@User_Error  Using the Design Manager tool, open the Draft and set it to Save As and specify a new filename, then select the model link and set it to Replace and specify the new model (MS).  Then Perform Actions to save and then close the app.

Open the new Draft in SE and update the views.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@User_Error, If neither the new model nor draft have been created then the Des Man save-as applies to both and the replace step is moot.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: Fastest way to create copies of drawings/files but with new materials?

HI @User_Error

supposing that You have no other data management tool in use I can advise to use at least the BuildIn Data Managmenet by Solid Edge.

This will do this automatically for You withut any additional efforts.

Just save a 3D document to a new name will copy the draft in the back wihtout any user action nedded.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

To be clear, is this example sheet metal part to remain flat or will it fromed on a brake / table?

If the part is formed, you will need to take extra steps to recalculate the flat pattern with the changing neutral factor.

If the part is flat, you will have fewer steps and things to be concerned with.

The question becomes more complex if you would want future changes to example#1 be driven into subsequent instances. Then you would need to employ part copy in ordered mode. The draft file will genarally reassociate to the part copy without much fuss.