Features on/off per draft view?

Phenom
Phenom

I'm making drafts that tell the story of how to fabricate some steel tubes. 

I can't figure out how to have features turned off in some views and on in others. Features are not slectable options in draft, so I took the approach of creating exactly the views needed in the model with saved names. 

The problem is, features are either on or off for all named views.

Am I missing a tool or understanding? Do I need to use some other approach? Must I create more unrelated models to accomplish my goal?

The feature in question is very difficult to create without using the feature command, it's a 2 dimension chamfer around the end of a rectangular tube that is not cut at 90 deg to the tube axis.

22 REPLIES

Re: Features on/off per draft view?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

I would make one base model 'body_1' with all features considered... and then, duplicate the body to be able to supress the feature or delete their related faces, healing this 'body_2'. So, these 2 bodies could be turned on and off on proper draft views. It would be similar to creating Family of Parts, without the 'populating' and 'saving' individual files approach.

Or you could use the 'designed model' x 'simplified model' way, but it would only allow to have 2 states ( or 2 'configurations' ) of the model.

Hope I got it right, and made myself clear.

BR

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

Phenom
Phenom

I think no matter how I do this for assembly features on frame members, I loose the connections to the item number and custom property of "SHAPE" I have set up for all the frame members. This is what I was trying to avoid. I have most of my drafting annotation connected to embeaded gages and frames members.

It was only a few views I needed for how to cut the parts before weld preps are added, So I just exported the frame members as extra parts for use in the views I make showing how to saw each frame member (not 90 deg cuts). Get's it done.

In this case it was very confusing becuase the weld seams of the raw tubes must be oritented in varius ways before the weld preps are added.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

if You use assembly features You can decide, to show those features or to not show them in draft.

Besides this approach I only can imagine a FOP approach.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe simplified would work if you only want to show with and without chamfer.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

12 GAGE

I believe this can be done. If you go to the view you have to right click and select properties you should see a list of components that make up the drawing. you can select each one and then to the right click show or not . I know this works on asm. views but not sure if you just have a single part.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@QSW It will not work with part views.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

That was the problem I ran into. And why I just made new parts to present the few parts that  had that problem.

I needed to show the saw view of the parts without weld preps. Then subsiquent views that included the weld preps with rectangular tubes flipped around to keep the tube weld seems in the right place.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Did you try simplified?

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

No, I did not think of the simplified method. Next time around I may try that.