Few questions about my draft file

Attached is a draft and model file. I have a few questions I thought others may have solutions too.

I also included my gage table.

I'm on ST9 MP0

Question 1. How can I format the expended metal so that it shows up better in draft. What is shown is the best I have figured out. One detail is that reguard is I have not found or set up a material as clear for one side of it, I used glass. But hat is not even showing up in the draft. The draft assumes the material shows up on both sides.

Question 2. On the second page of the draft, the left side of the border is missing. How do I fix that?

Question 3. THe sorting is not working as desired. I have it set to gage first then cut 1 second. The parts are not being sorted by Cut 1.

Question 4. This one is a long shot. are any aware of a method to end up with the top edges of the model as they are shown without going to a complex flange sketch on part B2? My limiting issues is that the part must be created on a punch, so if I used a flange for that lip instead of a bent sketc, then I would have small nibbles going around the chamfers. If I could have side angle of flanges normal cut from the K plane, that would solve it, but that is not an option.

In general, this model was difficult to make re-sizable. A few planes and one circle sketch in the assembly file control the entire design. Folding documentation was also a chalange. The worked out actual folding was documented for the "bumped" part.

14 REPLIES

Re: Few questions about my draft file

For expanded metal, I always just go into draw in view then bring in a block I have that depicts expanded metal. I don't know if that would work for you, but it does for me and I find it is much better to just depict a small portion of the parts as expanded. I import the block, then scale it to where I want it, unblock it, then trim away what I don't want to use.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

In regards to the views on sheet 2 with the border missing, have you considered instead of cropping the views to maybe just do a detail view from sheet 1, then you'd have a border and no resize issues?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

Good solution to the view problem, That would work. In general I try to not have view cross referancing other pages is why I did not do that to begin with.

For tha expanded metal, I'm trying to find a solution that will  automatically update on the drafting side. That would require re-triming every time a piece of exapanded metal is used. In general, I'm attempting to automate everything I can after the initial design. In this case I can re-size and re-radius the box and  update the draft other than the practical folding portion. No way around that one for a bumped radius. Cad can't predict that close enough to reality.

Or if you just go into the properties for the view and first tab check to show the drawing view border, that should do it for you.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Another possibility is to go into Draw in View and place a cross hatch to represent expanded metal.

2016-10-05_16-17-24.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

What's the name of that cross hatch pattern, I have been looking for a pattern like that and could not find one.

If anything you can just select Normal, then change the angle to like 30°, then place another fill at 330°.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Hi,

there is no need for a double hatching.

You can define Your own cross hatching pattern by defining it based on Ansi37 (lead) and changing the angle values for both pattern lines from 45 degree (135) to 60 (120)

Save that under e.g. cross and use it.

201061006_0757.PNG2

regards
Wolfgang

Cool stuff for the hatch patterns. Will work well for flat patterns.

What about when the view is in ISO or some other perspective, then the hatch solution starts to look like crap if making a drawing for a client to review a product. This is another reasion I was trying to find a bit map solution that would do everything (Flats, Iso, Rendering, etc..)

I also have the same issues for diamond/tread plate. In that case, it's important to show what side is up for the flats and bent parts.