Solved! Go to solution

File Locations of Standard Parts

I know this may be a tall quesation and I know I should spend time learning this via tutorials, etc. But I am a bit rushed for time and ok with a "nutshell" of an answer.

I have used Pro/E since 1992. So...my basic CAD knowledge is what I am working off of.

Keep in mind - we do NOT have any PDM system.

In Pro/E we set paths in a universal config file for folders so screws, common parts etc can be retrieved like:

search_path c:\myparts

search_path c:\myscrews

If I open abc assembly, the path (which is read when opening pro/e) will grab screws and parts from above folders.

How does this work in SE?

13 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author cs2kplus
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: File Locations of Standard Parts

I'd say that in SE you don't set a predefined sort of environment variable for where to get parts like hardware, etc. but you would/should set up folders for common parts and perhaps jobs and such would be saved according to some convention you determine. So you would insert fasteners from your set folders and you would save new parts and assemblies in a set folder(s) be it a job folder or what have you. The common parts (or any parts for that matter) in your assemblies would always look at (point to) where you inserted them from.

There is a setting for template folders which point to predetermined locations for template files for various file types when creating new ones.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author cs2kplus
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

I'm no expert at revision manager, but the way revision manager is used appears to be the controlling factor.

All parts you want to use, never change names, and reference from all models.....put in under one directory so they can be unselected as a group when making a copy of a project. If done that way, you can update the part, and have that effect every project.

How that relates to the built in standard parts functions I don't know because I don't use that feature.

I'm finding that you have to start from the ground up. Start with making sure the gage table and shape files (extrusion cross sections under frames) are exactly how you want them named before you ever start using them. If you change the name, the reference, and the model will become worthless.

My other big picture advice is to figure out how parts numbers, cut lengths, gages, cross section, etc.. are going to flow and display into your parts lists. Make a single parts list format that works for all possible parts you want to use. Then lock down the parts list format and never change it.

12gage,

I think your post is off-topic or at least beyond the scope of the original query.

However, I disagree with the following assertions:

"All parts you want to use, never change names" This may apply if you extensively maintain interpart links. Otherwise it's no more problematic in SE than it is in any other parametric solid modeler and revman, among other tools if you're in managed environment, solve the problem rather well.

"Make a single parts list format that works for all possible parts you want to use" No reason not to have multiple parts list formats if that's what you need.

"Then lock down the parts list format and never change it" Why? Any local changes to a p/l format in a draft will stay local and if you wish to save the new format for wider use simply do so.

Bruce Shand

All interesting comments! Thank you. I will save them as I go and refer back to them.

I think the nutshell answer to my question is:

When you add parts to an assembly, SE remembers from whence they came from. I assume written in the assembly file code? This is interesting if true.

Now....getting into renaming is going to be an upcoming thread.

[ Edited ]

I guess it is embedded in the assembly file somehow but the parts also report the assemblies and drafts they go into via where-used. Pro-E must have where-used functionality as well, right?

I've only dabbled in Pro-E and I do vaguely remember having to set workspaces in order to see things. Solidworks, like SE, doesn't have that.

Bruce Shand

The "pointers" are what's in the configuration files associated with each assembly. The pointers are edited when the assembly is edited and/or when you use revision manager.

If you use explorer or Ztree to move files, the pointers are NOT updated.

'The "pointers" are what's in the configuration files associated with each assembly.'

Not true.

Bruce Shand

I tend to believe those config files do contain the info. They are not reradable with any software...but this is what I have read.

[ Edited ]

Sheesh, I get tired of saying it but, the .cfg files contain the display configuration setting(s) even if you don't use configurations and there is only one default one. They do not contain pointers to files within the assembly. You can easily prove this if you have an assembly that points to many different folders for parts. Just delete the associated .cfg file and open the assembly. You will see that the assembly opens with all its parts intact and still residing in their respective folders.

Bruce Shand