Solved! Go to solution

File Preview in Open dialogue box

I have just installed ST7 on my work machine and when trying to open a file I have no preview in the dialogue box. Makes it very hard to know which part or drawing is the one you want to open.

I have looked for a setting to correct this but to no avail.

Has anybody else had this issue and found a solution?

I have attached a snapshot of the dialogue box if that is any help.

Thanks

Geoff

10 REPLIES

Re: File Preview in Open dialogue box

[ Edited ]

Hi Geoff,

You can [like your normal windows explorer] change the display of the files....I set mine to "Large Icons"....I prefer the visual file discovery also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks Sean. Obvious answer now that I know. I am sure it used to have a preview box at the bottom.
Doesnt matter now, but it does get frustrating when changes seem to be made to new versions that take time to find and get used to.
Thank heavens for this forum.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author GeoffS
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

GeoffS wrote:
Thank heavens for this forum.

AMEN to that!  Robot Very Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

The good news is that the File Open dialog now uses Microsoft standard controls. So if you know how to do it on the OS in Windows Explorer, you know how to do it in SE and vice versa.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

[ Edited ]

so that means all the DFT previews will be low resulotion so you can barely see them? or is that just us here...Smiley Happy

For me that means I need someone like Jason Newell to make an addon similar to Power Toys that will work in the Solid Edge Open dialogue box, that way I can have a list that allows me to fit as many files as possible in the window, with a preview below for when I click on a file.

Whilst Sean's solution solved the problem, it is not what I would call optimal. The old preview method was for me easier and faster, which is what we are all paranoid about isn't it?

Geoff

Solution
Solution

Is this what you are after?  Click the Show Preview button in the upper right of the dialog...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
Solution
Solution

Nothing like an obvious answer to make your day.

Thanks Ken. The lump on my forehead will go down eventually.Smiley Embarassed

I am wondering if it is possible to preview the .iges files? I do not see the preview of such files.