Solved! Go to solution

File Properties and the cell names

So, as my earlier post explained, we are implementing a drafting standard for our department. This was brought around by the addition of a new engineer who is the lead on one of our many projects we have in the shop.  One of the issues we, or he, is having is with the wording that SE uses for the file properties.  For instance, he doesn't understand why SE uses "Document Number" and not "Part Numer".  Or why SE uses "Title" and not "Description".  I guess the wording is causing issues with our customers consultants when they review our submitted drawings.  From what I can see, the quick fix for this would be to create some custom properties, "Part Number" and "Description", and use them.  But, I don't think having the same info listed twice in the file would be a good idea.  So, the other fix I can see is to leave things the way they are and just change or override the names of the fields in the draft.  I've done this in a set of test drafts and it seems to give us what he is looking for as far as the wording.  But, I can see it causing some confusion when the CADD person needs to modify a "Description" or "Part Number" of a model and they can't find a field called "Description" or "Part Number", when its actually "Title" and "Document Number".  So, has anyone actually changed the names of these fileds in File Properties?  

Brian C. 

17 REPLIES

Re: File Properties and the cell names

Hi Brian

Have look in preferences/Propseed.

I think ths is what your looking for.

Not used it myself so cant advise but plenty of help files.

George.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author BrianC
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

You cannot change the name of the default properties.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Thanks Ken.  I kinda thought that was the way it was, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks George.  

[ Edited ]

Sorry also Brian/Grundy

I was doing some welding and thinking about. And realised that I had tried to do the same thing!!

George.

I was hoping someone else had run into this same issue and had found a way around it. Its not looking that way, but, hey, I appreciate the feedback George. Have a great day.

Brian C.

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue. Thoes two fields should be name and number, or more properly, Description and Part number. This has taken me six months to get used too.

Document number implies drawing number as apposed to a part number.

Title is typically the name of a drawing, not the name of a part.

This is why I don't like the terms Document and Title vs Name and number.

It would also be nice if the Name and number and project fields were all under the same window vs the summary and project tabs where they are now.

You could not have "hit the nail on the head" an better than you did with your comments. Yep, the conversation I had with one of our engineers was almost identical to what you said. It would indeed be nice if they were to allow the user to change these fields and..... to have all the fields you mentioned under the same window.

You can achieve what you want with a few minutes of one-time set up.

You will notice that on the drawing sheet backgrounds you have Title and Drawing No. These have indexed references to the Title and Document Number property fields. Simply edit your background sheet to change TITLE to DESC. or what ever and DRAWING NO to PART NO or what ever else you might want. Don't forget to save your drawing template.

In this example I have added the indexed callout for Mass to the WEIGHT field on the drawing sheet. Now we all know that weight and mass are not the same thingSmiley Happy

You can apply the same principle to parts lists - simply edit the column headers to reflect your terminology - again not forgetting to save the parts list settings.

Remember these property field names are just that - names. You can use them however you choose.

Cheers

Mark