Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I have been using Solid Edge 2D Drafting for years and it is very good.

Is there a way to reduce file size, ie turn off functions not use. We save files to a shared drive on the network and this means waiting  several minutes as a file is saved.

Example of size difference   Drawing1.dft  = 85mb

Drawing1.dxf = 243kb

3 REPLIES

Re: File Size

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This may help. Go to the General tab in the Solid Edge Options dialog. Uncheck the option for 'Include Draft Viewer data in file' . This will disable data that is written to the file for the purposes of outside viewing.

Regards,

Rick B.

Creator
Creator

Hi, I tried turning off draft view option which made very little difference.

I did find the problem, I had in the past created some layouts and in those where some images.

I removed the images and this reduced file size to 1mb, I still found this to be larger than it should be.

Best resolution was to start again.

Draw some lines of the type you want to keep in an old file, open a new file using default files from installation in the templates directory and copy lines from the old file to the new file, change any styles needed and save as new file in the templates directory. When you check file size of new file it is 200kb approx. Use the new file when starting new drawing and size issue solved, In this case.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike

I had a similar problem and I solved it ( with the help of this forum ) by doing two things.

1. turn off draft viewer

2. don't embed images, link to file instead

If you embed an image and then delete it doesn't solve your problem, there is still some legacy stuff left by the image.

But this doesn't occur when you link images

Cheers

Pete