File from .igs/.stp without thickness

Creator
Creator

Hey, I recieved an .igs file. Opened it in Sheet metal environment (as it is a sheet metal part) but the problem is that I cannot work with the file as it has no material thickness (consists of surfaces only). Tried many suggestions but none worked. Anyone can help make this model solid?

P.S. I have a lot more .igs files which are all without thickness and much more complicated so an easy solution would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES

Re: File from .igs/.stp without thickness

Phenom
Phenom

The model does have thickness, the problem is that all the surfaces can't be stiched in a single body due to the fact there is overlapping faces.

In this case the problem is in the 180° bend at the end, Solid Edge doesn't like it if there is 0 mm gap.

In this case I would suggest to create the body without it and recreat the 180° bend with Solid Edge tools.

Unfortunately there is no automatic process to do this, and every model could have it's own problems.

Creator
Creator

Fiorini wrote:

The model does have thickness, the problem is that all the surfaces can't be stiched in a single body due to the fact there is overlapping faces.

In this case the problem is in the 180° bend at the end, Solid Edge doesn't like it if there is 0 mm gap.

In this case I would suggest to create the body without it and recreat the 180° bend with Solid Edge tools.

Unfortunately there is no automatic process to do this, and every model could have it's own problems.

OK. Thanks.

Any suggestion on how to do it? 

I deleted the 180° bend surfaces, added a bound surface to cover the empty space, stiched whole part but it doesn't stich outer bending radiuses for some reason. Stich tolerance 0,001mm. 

Phenom
Phenom

Aleksandr wrote:

OK. Thanks.

Any suggestion on how to do it? 

I deleted the 180° bend surfaces, added a bound surface to cover the empty space, stiched whole part but it doesn't stich outer bending radiuses for some reason. Stich tolerance 0,001mm. 

The 180° bend even if delete leave some material in the area where it is connected.

To create a solid I had to extend that surfaces and then trim\connect with the cap surface (instead of a bound surface I have used a bluesurf betwen the 2 small thickness edge, in this way I am sure to create a flat one.)

Phenom
Phenom

Another method is to delete all the interior surface and use the add thickness tool ( i had to use 0.79 instead of 0.8 due to the same reason of overlapping surfaces) then convert it to sheetmetal.

See in attachment (i did use ordered to keep history and have a look but it can be done in Synch too)

Creator
Creator

Wow mate. I actually managed to get a working file out of my .igs. However, seems that my SE is older and I couldn't open Your file. I am using ST7 btw.

So I deleted inner surfaces and added thickness in Part environment. It wouldn't transform it to sheet metal right away but after some tries I managed to transform it. I will now try with a complicated one and post the result.

Thanks for all.

Creator
Creator
Tried it on the complicated one. Well, a lot of surface deleting but worked like a charm. Thanks again.