Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File name and custom property in same column of part list

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello all,

The part list of my assembly generally shows file name of the parts in 'Part Name' column. Suppose I have bolt with part name 'C1-H1 bolt' and custom property 'M16X80 bolt'. Instead of the bolt's file name, I want to show it's custom property in the part name column when all other parts of the assembly will show their file names. How can I do that?

Hello @Tushar, @hawcad, can you please suggest me for this issue?

Regards,
Aslam
27 REPLIES

Betreff: File name and custom property in same column of part list

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

in general I do not see a way to achieve this, at least easy and without any manual work to do.

I even would like to go further.

I would not recommend to use a file name anyway.

File names can be so specific on the one side and can be so genereic on the other.

You should try to change to using properties instead.

A filename when using a PDM system will not matter at all.

The more managed You are working the more the filename itself goes into the backround while the metadata (what last not least will be our properties) gets in the foreground.

And if You have defined Your BOM to show a certain info (property) in a certain column, then this is the rule.

It doesn't make sense to have one single entry which should show another proeperty at this position.

This dilemma is the big issue for any setup of managed data.

What are our rules, how does our workflows work, which info do we need and which do we have?

Of course, You can change it manually and You can type any text into this cell, but what if somebody else has to use Your data, what if You will forgott that YOu have manual entries there.

What happens with the next release of this data, if nobody takes care for this manual change.

You see, there are a lot of conflicts and possible obsticles for future use of this data.

So I better would like to recommed, that You find out, what Your practical rules and workflows should be.

And then, if You know them, then use them, and to not override anything manually!

I know, it is not exactly what You wanted to hear, but it is a honest and whole-hearted opinion and recommendation.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad for your suggestions and details.

I will try to find a way to avoid using file name as part name in BOM. In that I want to discuss this issue with you.

Which property of a part/sub-assembly file should be used in part list with your experience? It may change for my case, but I want to get a clear idea of best practice.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

I know, that as many people as You will ask this, as many answers You will recieve.

But IMHO there are those typical properties, which in most cases can and will be used for exactly those infos.

And this also has to do with that this properties are the standard file properties defined in Windows operating system.

And this will be Title, Subject, Company, Keywords, Category, ergo the standard Summary Properties of any file under Windows.

Besides these we have the CAD or better to say the Solid Edge specific properties like Document Number, Revision and Project Name.

If those will not be enough for defining all necessary proeprties, then You can add as many Custom Properties as You like or as You need.

Man may not forget to mention those Material associated proeprties like Material, Gauge, etc.

I personally prefer the default properties of Windows, but I know also a lot of people who only use their own Custom Properties.

The advantage of Custom Properties is, that You will not have any language problems, which often causes problems.

So I hope this helps

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad.

Sorry, I have some more questions.

The scenario will be like this, if I have a part with file name Plate A then I will give it a property like Title as Part A. Then I will use property text for Title in part name column of BOM.

My question is every time I want to reuse that part, I will have to change it's both file name and Title manually which is time consuming.

Is there any property text from those you have mentioned which will automatically
Change when the file name is changed?

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

no this is not further correct in its totalness.

First I would like to emphase that a filename should not be that much important as it was a time ago.

Many, or better to say most PDM system uses an automatically created alphanumeric name as file name, but this doesn't matter, since most people will not se it anymore.

So my suggestion also will be to use the new (ST10) BiDM (BuildInDataManagment) System with automatically created filenames using the next free number with a given number symtax.

So to say, You only have to conentrate onto the Title as Your first - better to say - second property.

The IMHO main property is the Document Number, which should be the one and only and significant ID.

Title is more or less a description of functionallity.

And so You can have multiple or even many files with similar or same titles, but each of them needs to have a singular Document Number.

But, let's go back to Your initial question .

If You want to have a file name in a classical way, that means a "speaking name" then this file name can be equal to the title.

Now let's assume, You need a similar part and want to copy it.

No problem, You simply will use the tool, SE has developed for - the Design Manager!

Using it, You not only can copy a group of connected documents, no, You also can change filenames AND multiple properties in one single step, using the integrated Find and Replace function.

But again, I personally have seen, that with non speaking file names You must make Yourself more familiary with (we have not used it so in the past), but if You have accepted, You will see the big advantages,  when the need for a change occurs.

And - this is also very important and I have not mentioned it so far, beginning with ST9 You can show any property in windows explorer too. You also can use them for search, for filtering, etc.

So - and that's the point - You can concentrate onto metadata rather than simple filenames.

Believe me, recognizing this once, You never ever would like to miss it!

And - that's the next great issue - You can use it without any need for any PDM system if You like, just with Solid Edge stand alone - great!

If Your demands will grow, if You will need more features, functions or faster results for more  users or more data, then You always will be able to switch over to a real and big PDM or even PLM system.

But for the beginning or for smaller organisations, the BiDM is a good point to start with!

It will let You think about Your structures, workflows and rules, and this is essential for any PDM system.

Even more important than which software, database or whatever You are using.

regards
Wolfgang

Allow me to back up to the basics from @hawcad's long answer:

@@aslam wrote:

My question is every time I want to reuse that part, I will have to change it's both file name and Title manually which is time consuming.

Why would you have to do that?

There are only two reasons that I can think of:

1) You want to copy it and change it in some way.

2) You keep project models in separate folders without links between them and you want to use the part in another project.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad for your great explanation!

I will try to be upgraded with ST10, then I will try to apply your suggested work process.

Regards,
Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

I want to discuss in more detail. @bshand is right, we keep project models in separate folders.
I am presenting our current situation.

Our projects require mostly custom parts/sub-assemblies which we generally copy from a similar old job and modify or make new. We have few standard parts, which we keep in a standard part folder and link them when needed.

In a part/sub-assembly, the file name is part name. The main assembly name is written in 'Project Name' of file property, and the description of that part is written in 'Document Number'. Our Part list have 4 columns. First one is 'Part name' where is file name is shown, second is 'Description' where is document number property is shown. And other two columns are Material and Quantity. In the title box of the drawing sheet, project name property is shown for 'Project Name'.

Now two issues I have to rethink.
1. Document Number property is already in use to show part description which in some case unique and some case generic, but very essential. So to avoid file name in part name of part list, I can use 'Title' property. I understand parts are searchable with this property in windows folder. But my concern is, we are habituated to find a part in it's main assembly with it's name in drawing. So if file names are different than part name in BOM, and path finder in solid edge assembly only shows part's file name, then how I can easily find? May be I can use 'Select tools' with query to find them. But I can't directly see them in path finder. Please suggest.

2. I am explaining the main reason behind this post. We have standard bolts in a standard folder. We always link these 3d files in new assembly. Suppose a M16x80 bolt is used in two hollow section frame joint. Again the same bolt is used in four plate joint. When we make BOM, generally all same bolt are shown in single row. I need to count total bolts in a assembly to find out any error. With a BOM, I don't know where the bolts are used. Then I make a manual table in excel where each type connection is noted in a column, and the bolt name in another column. So the 'section to section' connection M16x180 bolt is in one row, and 'plate to plate' connection M16x180 bolt is in another row. With this table I check the total number of bolts are correct in BOM or not.

The BOM is ok. If any how I can have the data of the connection type in one column of BOM, then I will firstly check the bolts with corresponding connection types, then just hide that column as I want in pdf or printed document. For this reason I thought I will make a bolt with name 'Section-Section bolt' and it will have 'M16X180' in any of it's property. Then I will pull the property in Part Name column of BOM (when other parts will have their general names) and the bolt name will be listed in a separate column say 'TYPE'. In this way I can sort out bolts with connection types.

As you already mentioned, in one column of BOM should have only one property, then I will still face the same issue even if I avoid file names. Please suggest me a solution for this.

Thank you again @hawcad for your time.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

OK, let's continue!

• together with the BiDM of ST10 You not only have the opportunity for having an integrated "Where Used" but also a single button to go from 3D document to the according draft, no matter where it is saved and no matter what the filenam is.
    But the draft filename IMHO should be the same as the 3D filename - no difference than before
  • And again, as already requested by You, it is part of the Solid Edge BiDM, the question about Standard Parts
    You can and You should define the basic Standrad Parts Folder, and all files from tehre will not be copied anyway, they still keep there where they were and keep the name too
  • to put the description into the Document Number IMHO is not the best idea
    Document Number - as already said - is something unique and should be something unique,
    wherelse a description is something many parts can have the same.

And finally, this all is something You can or You should consider, there is no need for a MUST, but I believe, that following those rules can make Your live easier, in regard what document managment concerns.

regards
Wolfgang