Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: File name and custom property in same column of part list

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

I will make some further comments to that issue:

I think, that those thought and considerations You still are doing at the moment, belongs to the most important when file managment, workflow, lifecycle etc. is in discusion.

And the earlier You are starting with it, the better it will be.

And it sometimes is better to change something, even with problems and work connected with, than keep wrong workflows and structures for the future.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad for your indepth discussion and advise. Yes you are right, sometimes we need to reorganize our work process and face present problems to make better future.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

there is another idea I hae over night, and this would be to make a small test:

What happens, if You change the order of Your columns in the windows explorer?

What will be if You move the Document Number and the Title column to left while moving the filename far to the right.

What is the difference?

Finally, no or no big one.

The main search column will be shown at the left followed by the next important info column (Title) and so on.

Is there a big difference than looking onto the Filenmae?

No not really, isn't it?

And this is the point!

If we will concentrate onto metadata more than onto filenames, this will work in the same way,.

No it even will work better than using filenames only.

You can change metadate (proeprties) as often as You need it to do, without lossing any filebased relations between 3D documents, assemblies and drafts.

If You not longer concentrate onto the filename to have certain "metainfo" in name, for example (and I have seen this that much often) "Beam I100 - 1000mm long.par", and now the length must be changed to 1050mm.

Now the problems begin!

And even worse, what else if there already a beam with 1050mm length exists.

And even worst, what if that beam is saved under a neighboured folder.

Nobody recognizes this, but suddenly You have the same filename twice in a parallel structure.

So beginning to keep info date in info fields, using filename as what it is, a simple filename, and many issues from the past will become easier to handle, less problems will occur and we can do our work better.

Fortunately the software always is developed, so that we can trust to get new problems in the future!

Smiley Very Happy

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you very much @hawcad for your continuous thinking about the issue and your great explanation.

Yes you are right.

I have watched some long videos about BiDM yesterday. I am convinced and I found that many firms were using file names as part names like me. The good thing is, SE have solution for old files also you know. Data preparation can handle those.

I have learned how powerful the solution is and how a disciplined work flow can benefit us. I got my answer about path finder. The Document Number is the unique ID of a part, as you said. When a part file name is automatically created with Document Number, Revision Number and/or prefix, eventually path finder will show the document number in the tree. So there will be no hassle to relate with path finder and drawing pdf.

The first issue is we have to change our habits and rethink the work process, not only me but also total office. And you know it will take some time to be habituated with new process. We will upgrade ourselves with ST10 soon. I will try to convince them to start using BiDM. Let's hope for the best.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

I have to say thank You for this very positive answer, and when You are on the way to upgrade to ST10,
now is the best time to rethink Your process and workflows.

And Yes, I'm confident that it will be a hard way, not only for Yourself but also for Your team.

Breaking old procedures, old behavior and old established methods always is a very very hard and stony way.

I keep my fingers crossed for You and hope to read a positive article here from You after implementing a good data handling for You and Your team!

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Can you not just name the fastener part to be what you wish it to be? I have mine named  this way. Whatever the thread designation is, folled by basic description, bolt, nut, what have you.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @nominus38,

Thank you for your reply.
I can name the bolts like connection types. The problem is, it can not be shown as Part name in BOM (in our current work process, we use file name as Part Name in BOM). Because in factory, they only concern about the description or bolt type, not connection type. The connection type is needed only for us, who prepare the drawing, to count the bolts easily.

Regards,
Aslam.

"connection type"?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @bshand,

Thank you for your query.
I have already described the issue in previous discussion. Can you please check? In short, by connection type I meant where a bolt is used. Plate to plate joint, section to section joint etc.

Regards,
Aslam

@aslamwrote:
Hello @bshand,

Thank you for your query.
I have already described the issue in previous discussion. Can you please check? In short, by connection type I meant where a bolt is used. Plate to plate joint, section to section joint etc.

Regards,
Aslam

Fasteners are just fasteners. A "connection type" as you describe it is an emergent property of how they are used in a certain situation. It would be absurd to name fasteners according to such "after the fact" abstract properties. Unless you operate under some very strange conventions in your workplace. Which appears to be the case.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200