File properties lost in neutral 3D format?

Genius
Genius

Hi,

In our 3D models, we fill in File Properties like Document number, Revision and Material to populate drawing corners and create Excel BOM reports. When we create neutral 3D files for our subcontractors all this valuable metadata is 'lost in translation'. As far as I know, Parasolid and STEP files contain only 3D geometry, no metadata.

So it's 2015 and our subcontractors are puzzling metadata back together from Excel BOM lists and PDF drawings that was present in our original 3D SE files. Pretty time consuming and prone to errors.

• How do you guys handle this?
  • Does the CAD industry already have a solution for this?
  • Can SolidWorks/ProE/Inventor open native SE files and extract the file properties?

Regards,

Robin Bloemberg.

8 REPLIES

Re: File properties lost in neutral 3D format?

Phenom
Phenom

vongahlen wrote:
Can SolidWorks/ProE/Inventor open native SE files and extract the file properties?

Hi Robin,

Not sure about other CAD programs but Solid Edge can open other native file formats like Inventor, Solid Works and ProE and read the file properties too.

I checked with an Inventor 2015 part file whose properties viz. Title, Subject, Manager and more importantly Document Number, Revision Number and Project Name were read by Solid Edge successfully.

Solid Edge appears to read the Inventor native .IPT file via the Parasolid route since I could see a Parasolid translation dialog flash momentarily; so it is confirmed that the file properties were not lost through the neutral transition route.

Among other softwares, Inventor does not support opening SE native files and SolidWorks opens Solid Edge PAR and ASM but cannot read the file properties.

This may not answer your query but I think its really up to other CAD programs to support reading geometry AND file properties, like Solid Edge does.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

Genius
Genius

Hi Tushar,

Can it be that Inventor does store it's properties in Parasolid and Solid Edge doesn't?

Because when I save an SE native assy to Parasolid and open it again in SE, all properties are lost.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Robin,

Neither Inventor nor Solid Edge store file properties when saving out the model in Parasolid format.

In the previous comment, I had opened an Inventor IPT file 'directly' in Solid Edge upon which Solid Edge read the geometry, and more importantly, read several file properties of interest.

Other CAD programs like Inventor, SW and ProE should have similar capability to read Solid Edge .PAR 'with' file properties, is the way out as I see it.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Solid Edge is enough good on this area...SE can read attributes from AI and SW files.

In general I suggest using .jt file because it can contain PMI dims and attributes after exporting/importing.

Here is a short video:

link

I hope, this helps you!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Right, JT is a great format for retaining File properties along with the geometry when exporting from Solid Edge and from the vendors' perspective who would consume the JTs:

- Inventor seems to respect the file properties and reads them all in, along with the geometry from a JT file exported from SE.

- SolidWorks does not recognize a JT at all and vendors need to use some external tool like Actify Spinfire, etc.

- ProE Wildfire supported JT only with additional licenses and not as default option.

- PTC Creo vendors can import JT using Theorem Solutions' translator but in both cases, nothing is known about the file properties.

- CATIA supports JT import through Okino convertor pack.

- NX of course does import JT along with the file properties as attributes.

~Tushar

Genius
Genius

I studied and tested some export file formats last weekend. Here are my findings, certainly incomplete but based on what is important to me:

IGES: Old neutral format, dates back to 1980(!), stores geometry only. Original file names are lost on import in Solid Edge. Not preferred.

STEP: Widely used neutral ISO certified format. Stores geometry and -since AP203E2- PMI annotations and dimensions.

X_T: Native format for 3D programs based on the Parasolid kernel. Proprietary format, so not preferred.

3D PDF: Initiated by Adobe, but based on ISO standards U3D and PRC. Can store geometry, PMI, markups, metadata and more. I could not find a program that shows the metadata though. Almost anyone has Acrobat Reader on their PC.

JT: Developed by Siemens for PDM use, now approved as ISO standard. Very small file sizes. Stores geometry, PMI, metadata and more. Several viewers available that can retrieve the metadata. Less known than PDF by laymen, but nevertheless preferred.

Some viewers that can open JT files and show metadata:

• Siemens JT2GO
  • Siemens Free 3D viewer / Solid Edge View and Markup (I had troubles opening some JT files and will contact reseller)
  • Kisters Viewstation
  • Glovius JT viewer

Phenom
Phenom

vongahlen wrote:

IGES: Old neutral format, dates back to 1980(!), stores geometry only. Original file names are lost on import in Solid Edge. Not preferred.

I believe you are looking for a solution to meta data when exported out of SE, right ?

Genius
Genius

Tushar wrote:

I believe you are looking for a solution to meta data when exported out of SE, right ?

Correct, and  JT seems to suit our needs best. I still have to ask our subcontractors to test some JT files with their software though. Since I do not have SW/Inventor/Creo etc. at hand, I did some quick testing by exporting an assembly from Solid Edge and opening the resulting file in SE and several viewers.