Solved! Go to solution

File synchronization

Hey all,

We're new to working with mulitple engineers in very large assemblies (2k+ parts, 15+ designers/engineers) and we're running into a lot of issues with files being checked out when users aren't intending to work on them.

In the example below - designer 1 will be working at the top level, designer 2 will be working at the sub-2 level (orange) and designer 3 will have updated component 1 (light blue) and checked it back in. This will cause sub 4 to be out of date (red). When designer 1 diligently saves, he will end up with sub 4 checked out. He can't save through sub 2, and will not notice he's checked out sub 4. 

Model Checkout.PNG

Our situation is increasingly complex as theres more levels, more engineers, and a lot of parts changing.

Looking for advice on how various groups manage these kinds of projects, and keep things relatively in sync at the end of the night. Right now I am usually the last to leave, and before I go I will check out the whole model, save and update everything, and dump it all back in to TC before the EU design team goes on line in the morning.

Is there any way to defer updates to levels below where you can check out? Best practices such as working at the lowest level possible and always opening higher levels as "no check out all levels"?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sathersc86
‎10-19-2016 10:14 AM

Re: File synchronization

Check out the Limited Update and Limited Save commands...

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:xid822374

Of interest may be the paragraph...

<--

The Limited Update command confines updates to only those documents that, in the current design session, have been modified by you. If other documents have been modified by someone else, those changes can be viewed and updated by using the Component Tracker.

-->

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sathersc86
‎10-19-2016 10:14 AM

[ Edited ]

We were getting a lot of files seemingly randomly checked out when doing concurrent work on projects. I turned on the Limited Update and Limited Save commands on all the workstations and it seems to have helped alleviate that. Not sure it applies directly to your problem but it might be something to try.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

We're going to try this out but in a limited trial it does look like it might alleviate our problems.

Thanks guys!