Files staying locked

We have 18 users and several are working on the same project so need to reference each other's models.

We are having problems with files remaining locked by other users, even after they have saved and closed them (we get the Read Only Assistant box displayed)

We just had an instance where someone could not get write access to a model and when I tried neither could I (just testing if it was me locking it).

However, another user who had no files open in solid edge (but possibly had recently accessed the file) could open it with write access.

After saving and closing the file the original user could then get access to it.

We are on ST6, MP6.

Our files are stored on the network in a NAS drive.

Disks are SSD's configured in triple raid 1. (according to our IT dept.)

I don't recall having problems like this in the past with multiple users - does anyone have any ideas?

Is it a network problem, a Solid Edge problem, or a bit of both?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.
11 REPLIES

Re: Files staying locked

with instances like this, sometimes you have to close Solid Edge itself. It will then release the file

[ Edited ]

We have seen wierd issues with a NAS device if used to store Solid Edge files in the past.  Not sure why these can be problematic, but these devices are self contained and often have their own OS and other features such as "snapshots" which capture "point in time" versions of the folder/files and a write caching system.

We officially store our files in SharePoint but a few folks store files outside of it on our current NAS but don't seem to have issues with this one.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Unfortunately this is occurring more regularly and getting 5 or 6 users to exit Solid Edge every time is not really a viable option.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

[ Edited ]

Just an update -

This morning I was updating a drawing of a 2-part assembly and needed to change a hole size in one of the parts.

I opened the assembly model and got write access.

I then opened the part and it was 'locked by another user'.

As it was early in the day it was quite easy to find which user was locking it.

The other user had placed an assembly containing my assembly into his assembly model.

To get write access I had to open the part from his workstation, then close it.

The part was not activated in his assembly.

The same thing happened again on another assembly I was creating a drawing of.

How does a  part get locked but not the assembly that contains the part?

Are there any settings that restrict write access until the part is opened?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

As a work around for now, I would suggest that when a user closes a file on the project that they close and re-open the SE application.

Have you found a resolution or cause to this file locking problem, or does it persist?

No, we have not found a soulution yet (other than my temporary one - 2 weeks holiday Smiley Very Happy)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

A little more information -

We are now on ST7 MP5 and have just encountered the same problem.

The number of users on this particular project has reduced and we are mostly using different assemblies so haven't seen it recently.

I have a sub-assembly attached to my main assembly and just now I turned on the display of that sub-assembly.

Now, the user who is working on parts within that sub-assembly can't get write access to them.

I have to open the part and close it again, without saving, then he gets write access.

I tried just opening the sub-assembly and closing it again but that didn't help.

I tried de-activating the assembly but that didn't help.

Would the limited update and limited save options help with this problem?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

I figured out a way to replicate this problem 100% and a temporary solution: (worked for me anyway). In the options for opening assemblies do not use "inactivate all" - use "last saved" instead. I know that is painful for massive assemblies that you have never opened.

If a part is edited and subsequently opened in an assy and inactivate all is set - that part is locked as read only even though it should be read write. It even failed locally with my own files so it has nothing to do with server issues in this case.

I carefully documented an example step by step, with video a month or two ago and sent it off to the reseller. I did hear they were able to replicate the problem there as well, no idea where it is at though...hoping someday there is a proper fix for a problem that has cost our company a lot of time.