Fill/Extrude open space

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm quite new to SolidEdge (ST6) and have searched but found nothing that helped me.

I have a closed area from four oval shaped solids. These are also slightly bent so down-left corner are lower than right-upper corner. Both left-upper and right- lower are in between. The area between these are a bent rectangular and I want to fill it or extrude the open space part. I would like to do so without going to 2D and use planes, schetch and similar.

Is this possible? (Attach a small part of the solid)

Thanks

Mikael

8 REPLIES

Re: Fill/Extrude open space

Phenom
Phenom

Hello Mikael, Welcome to the forum.

You can first use the Derived Curve from the Surfacing toolbar to create a single curve bounding the open space.

mikael01.png

Then use the Bounded Surface command to fill the space with a surface.

mikael02.png

Later you can try thickening the surface but it may result into non-manifold or zero-thickness surface, but there are many more options to accomplish this.

It is recommended to use the Command Finder at the bottom of the Solid Edge window to find the commands in the UI.

Hope you find this helpful to begin with.

Regards,

Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.in

[EDIT]:

Don't know what your design intent is, meaning what you want to do with the filled open space later. But I was able to extend the bounded surface which enabled thickening it without errors. Here are some more images:

mikael03.png

mikael04.png

I extended the surface from all four sides, though it may not always be necessary.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Have a look at this......is it what you're trying to do?

I created a bounded surface from the internal edges, then extended the outer edges of that new surface [right click in pathfinder, select show only] so it could be successfully thickened [adjust the thickness to your desired setting, you may need to also adjust the surface extend  to suit] to be a valid solid model.

UPDATE:

Woops...just spotted you have ST6. The model I posted back, was from ST7. [Parasolid file uploaded]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Nice stuff @Tushar.....exactly the solution that came to my mind also.  Robot Very Happy

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Several people updating a post in real-time - that's what make this forum a wonderful place; isn't it @SeanCresswellSmiley Happy

Awesome work Sean. Initially I hesitated to post the extend surface part, since I see this only as a workaround, but then also saw nothing else to make it working to get past the zero-thickness barrier.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sure is @Tushar.

The extend surface is a necessary procedure to counter exactly that zero-thickness condition.....the alternative would be to make it smaller, to become a floating panel, and connect it with bridging tags. [if that was a requirement

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi.

Thanks for a quick reply! And all help. :-)

I did try similar thing myself but always ended up with "Zero thickness".

Solution is to extend.

Weird, though, that if I do not extend i get "Zero thickness" but if I do extend I can thicken how much I want, even more than the edges limits. (I thought this is the problem with Zero thickness without extending, but perhaps it's not?)

I noticed that I do not need to use Derived curve, it works whitout it in this case.

What if each corner has a radius applied? (That I can't remove!)

And that radius isn't perfect, meaning I do not get a smooth edge as boundary. (No closed loop)

I am changing someone elses solid and can use an earlier version whitout any rounds but then I need to apply them again later on.

Mikael

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ah, now I see. The Surface isn't attached to the rest of the body so therefore zero thickness. Extend only a nano and it's attache, thicken as much as you like. Am i Correct? :-)

Phenom
Phenom

You are absolutely right. Robot Happy

These zero-thickness objects also called as non-manifold, are shapes that cannot be created in real life.
For e.g. most 3D printers can't print non-manifold designs.

Hence Solid Edge justifiably does not allow creating such objects.

~Tushar