Solved! Go to solution

Fillet weld size to variable table?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I want to optimize my structure using simulation optimization and have my fillet weld size as a variable. However, I don't see it as an option in my variable table, there are only my constraints. Is there a way to have my fillet weld size (bisector thickness, circled in red) to my assembly's variable table?

Bisector thickness.JPG

8 REPLIES

Re: Fillet weld size to variable table?

Hi,

I don't know an elegant solution then this one Smiley Happy

I would create a dimension like shown in the following screenshot and I have to populate this new Variable to be able to use it later:

Fillet weld size_02.jpg

Yasser

Hi,

and thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, your advice didn't work. The dimension of the weld showed up in the variable table, but since that PMI is not driving dimension (red number) but a purple one, I can't change the weld size by editing the number value in that PMI dimension.

sim weld.JPG

sim variable.JPG

sim error.JPG

Any other ideas?

Sorry, I thought that you are just looking for a way to get the dimension needed to the variable table...

Yasser

It seems that that particular value neither populates the variable table nor is it able to accept variable input.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

If I understand you well, you would like to be able to change the weld size by editing the number value in the PMI dimension. Perhaps you want to make changes globally with the help of the variable table.

I still don't see any possibility to have access to the parameter needed... Or I would say that these variables are still not accessible for us "user" Smiley Sad

Yasser

I would love to see this too as we often tweak welds after the model is made due to changing customer requirements or second pass FEA results.

Maybe you can get this through the SDI if you have someone who can write the code. You could try asking on the development forum.
Using SE since V12, 2002
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Teemu
‎06-27-2016 01:28 AM

Hi,

I suggest modeling weld beam (assy or part level) and it will contain variables.

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/