Find Annotations using a specific Dimension Style

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I'm rolling my templates over to ST8 and, for convenience, copying many of the elements from my old templates into the default ST8 templates.  Of course, when I do that, the old Styles come along with the elements.

I CANNOT DELETE AN OBSOLETE DIMENSION STYLE!

Usually this is because there is some geometry, callout, or other annotation that is still referencing that style.  I have used the selection filters to grab all annotations, all layers are on, and everything else I can think of both drawing sheet and background sheet.  How do I find where a dimension style is referenced so I can delete obsolete styles?

Re: Find Annotations using a specific Dimension Style

PLM World Member Phenom

It appears to have something to do with the Units and Dimension Style Mapping.

I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate the obsolete (1982) standard from the units.  I can reassign and clear the mapping from the list of styles on the Dimension Mapping, but I can't seem to clear it out of the List of Values from the pop-down on the Units options.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't appear in the dimension styles dialog?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

Yes, it's there.  And when selected I'm not allowed to delete it.

The only reason I recall as to why a dimension style can't be deleted is because it is being referenced somewhere.

• I've deleted all the annotations I can find.
  • I've unblocked all the blocks to find any "hidden" annotations in those.
  • I've modified the dimension style to make it big and ugly, so anything using that style should stick out on the drawing face.

The only location left that I can find any reference is in the Options, and I don't know how to get rid of it so I can delete the dimension style.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

This, I assume, is in the file you use as a draft template? There's nothing in the background sheets? No hidden layers? I think it only appears in the options because it's in the dimstyle list and it's not deletable there because it's selected as an active style in the options. Select a wanted style in options instead and it s/b deletable in the dimstyles list.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

I submitted an IR and included the questionable draft file.  I think that's going to be the only way to resolve this.

I made sure my selection filters were allowing all types of elements and that all layers were shown everywhere.

On the working sheet, CTRL+A then DEL.

On the background sheets, CTRL+A then DEL.

Finally, I deleted all but the default layer.

Basically, it is an empty file and still I cannot delete that dimension style.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Did you try my suggestion to unselect that style as the active style in options?

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

I got a response to my IR.  It has been appended to an existing ER (7449807) that basically says if a dimension style was used in a template, it can't be deleted.  I'll have to migrate my templates over in a different fashion to avoid copying that style or just live with the extra style.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand that. I can delete styles in my template.

I just used a dimension style in my template. Then I deleted the dimensions, selected a different active style in options, then deleted the style I previously used.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

I agree, there seems to be a bigger issue going on.  There seems to be no reason I shouldn't be able to delete the style.