Solved! Go to solution

Find Annotations using a specific Dimension Style

I'm rolling my templates over to ST8 and, for convenience, copying many of the elements from my old templates into the default ST8 templates.  Of course, when I do that, the old Styles come along with the elements.

I CANNOT DELETE AN OBSOLETE DIMENSION STYLE!

Usually this is because there is some geometry, callout, or other annotation that is still referencing that style.  I have used the selection filters to grab all annotations, all layers are on, and everything else I can think of both drawing sheet and background sheet.  How do I find where a dimension style is referenced so I can delete obsolete styles?

Re: Find Annotations using a specific Dimension Style

It appears to have something to do with the Units and Dimension Style Mapping.

I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate the obsolete (1982) standard from the units.  I can reassign and clear the mapping from the list of styles on the Dimension Mapping, but I can't seem to clear it out of the List of Values from the pop-down on the Units options.

It doesn't appear in the dimension styles dialog?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Yes, it's there.  And when selected I'm not allowed to delete it.

The only reason I recall as to why a dimension style can't be deleted is because it is being referenced somewhere.

• I've deleted all the annotations I can find.
  • I've unblocked all the blocks to find any "hidden" annotations in those.
  • I've modified the dimension style to make it big and ugly, so anything using that style should stick out on the drawing face.

The only location left that I can find any reference is in the Options, and I don't know how to get rid of it so I can delete the dimension style.

[ Edited ]

This, I assume, is in the file you use as a draft template? There's nothing in the background sheets? No hidden layers? I think it only appears in the options because it's in the dimstyle list and it's not deletable there because it's selected as an active style in the options. Select a wanted style in options instead and it s/b deletable in the dimstyles list.

Bruce Shand

I submitted an IR and included the questionable draft file.  I think that's going to be the only way to resolve this.

I made sure my selection filters were allowing all types of elements and that all layers were shown everywhere.

On the working sheet, CTRL+A then DEL.

On the background sheets, CTRL+A then DEL.

Finally, I deleted all but the default layer.

Basically, it is an empty file and still I cannot delete that dimension style.

[ Edited ]

Did you try my suggestion to unselect that style as the active style in options?

Bruce Shand

I got a response to my IR.  It has been appended to an existing ER (7449807) that basically says if a dimension style was used in a template, it can't be deleted.  I'll have to migrate my templates over in a different fashion to avoid copying that style or just live with the extra style.

[ Edited ]

I don't understand that. I can delete styles in my template.

I just used a dimension style in my template. Then I deleted the dimensions, selected a different active style in options, then deleted the style I previously used.

Bruce Shand

I agree, there seems to be a bigger issue going on.  There seems to be no reason I shouldn't be able to delete the style.