Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find out the parent assembly of a child one

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi everybody,

I have one parent assembly , it has various members. The child members are generated and saved in different folders.

And one month after the creation, I want to change something in all of the child assemblies, but I can't remember the name of the other childs, neither the parent one.

How I can know which is the parent assembly, so then, to apply the change at this one?

Like in piece environment, it's able to find the master piece.

Thanks,

RicardS

3 REPLIES 3

Betreff: Find out the parent assembly of a child one

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RicardS

so are You talking about a Family of Assembly?

Since this is different to a Family of Part, where the childs are saved separate, while the ASM family only is stored in one single file.

So IMHO there only will exist an single ASM for the complete group of members

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Find out the parent assembly of a child one

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

If you are looking for the assembly that uses a particular child part, open Design Manager on that part and run a "where used" and check the "assembly" box for the process options.  Make sure you also give it a folder to start from that is higher than your parts and assemblies so DM can look down through them.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Re: Find out the parent assembly of a child one

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

I am not looking for a part that it's used in a concret assembly, I am finding a child assembly that has been created from a family table of a parent assembly, so appearently, once the child assembly has been created, there isn't any link between them

Although, the parent assembly can be inserted in a assembly, and pick the child in question, into the .dft environment, in the boxes appear the code and the description of the parent & child assembly.

To solve that, I can create a child assembly, as a independent assembly. Then I insert the assembly into the .dft, and the data it's shown properly.

Nevertheless, there is no way to know which assembly was created from a parent assembly. That is the problem.