Finding a "zero thickness non-manifold part" in ST4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

So I'm trying to turn a large assembly into 1 part, and I think I understand how to do it. However, I get the "zero thickness non-manifold part" error when trying to combine multiple parts.

My question is: How do I find this stupid part? I have too many parts to look at them individually, so how do I find it so I can fix it?

Thanks!

I'm using ST4, and I've tried doing it in the asmembly file, a part file, a parasolid, a step, stl, etc.

EDIT: Autocorrect completely changed the original title

10 REPLIES

Re: Finding a "zero thickness non-manifold part" in ST4

ST5 has new multi body design functionality which will show you the non manifold condition when attempting a boolean.

In ST4 there is no way to find the manifild condition that im aware of.  IF you know where the condition is likley you can extend/trim faces to consume or gap the manifold condition but finding it is the hard part.

I'd suggest getting a more current version that has the functionality you desire...

good luck

Genius
Genius

+ 1 on MattJohnsonPAC

If possible, you could select the surfaces option...but sometimes that will also give you the error.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah all my research has shown that ST5 or better is the way to go. My company probably won't go for that, though.

So far I've managed to use "boolean" to combine everything into two large parts. Those two won't combine with each other because of the "non-manifold part" error. I can't thicken them either, due to the same error.

Does anybody know a way to convert an STL file into a solid feature? The STL file works, but it's not very useful since it's just a facet model.

assuming you are current on maintenance,  why whould you not...  OR...  even if you don't make the switch across the board.  Install a single instance of ST5,  Do what you need to do, save out a parasolid then open this back into ST4...???

Experimenter
Experimenter

We're definitely not current, and I'm having trouble finding a trail offer. Do you have a link, or a different idea?

can you upload your model as is and one of us can convert for you...   save you a bunch of hassle...

Experimenter
Experimenter

Nope Smiley Sad super confidential stuff. (actually It's just crappy sheet metal but I would still get in trouble)

thanks for the offer, though

well good luck,  just be sure not to try this in student version... files created in student can not open in commercial.

Phenom
Phenom

If you are dealing with SMD parts and it is coming in from another system you might have a "touching" condition where the flange folds over and touches another planar face. That will give you a non-manifold condition.

Just something to look for.