Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the curve of a gear profile

Pioneer
Pioneer

I generated a gear with solidedge's tool but now I need to subtract some material off so I can use the gear to generate motion for an apparatus that is 3d printed.  In a previous post, I had the recommendation to use the offset tool to do this but you need to be able to click on the curve of the gear profile to do this; and doesn't seem to be possible with this part.

I've tried generating a curve with the intersection of the gear profile with a 3d box I added to the end of the gear.  But this curve is also not selectable with the offset tool.

Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16

Betreff: Finding the curve of a gear profile

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JordanMcB

what I can not understand at the moment is the need for the curve.

Is a face offset from the gears face not possible too?

Or do You need the offset at one edge only?

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Clicking on the face of the gear rather than the curve that defines the gear's profile would work for me too I think.  Something about the gear I've attached will not allow selection.

I'm not sure I am communicating my point.  My objective in the end is to subtract of 12 thousands of an inch off the gear profile so that my gears will mesh adequately.

Hi @JordanMcB

Is it possible to create an single offset surface for the gear profile?

(At the moment I do not have any SE computer here to test it myself)

regards
Wolfgang

And clicked to fast for continuing.

And use that surface for a  Surface Replacing Feature.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
Im not sure how to do that with what the gear tool spit out. I seem not to be able to do very much with it.

Hi @JordanMcB

So maybe there is another user online here who will have a look onto Your part, or maybe You can post an image.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
I will have to do it later because i dont have access to solidedge right now. I could easily use the offset tool with a circle i made in a new part.

I think there is something strange about what the gear tool spits out that its faces/features are not selectablw.

Pioneer
Pioneer
I will have to do it later because i dont have access to solidedge right now. I could easily use the offset tool with a circle i made in a new part.

I think there is something strange about what the gear tool spits out that its faces/features are not selectablw.

Pioneer
Pioneer

It's a pretty simple gear.  I'd like to do an offset all around the gear teeth profile as partially demonstrated with red ink.  Nothing is selectable in this model with the offset tool.

axialMod.JPG