Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing a vendor model

Builder
Builder

Edgers,

I have a part from a vendor that came to us via a stp file.  The part is a component of a seat assembly.  Its the seat bottom.  I want to thicken just the top surface.  I copied the top surface, then stitched the 6 copied surfaces together.  I then tried to thicken it and I got an error.  So I stepped back and tried the thicken on just the two rear surfaces and it worked.  Apparently the front 4 surfaces are not "attached" to the two rear surfaces.  To me, this seems like a simple fix.  Just get the mating edges to match up and it will work.  The thing is, I can not figure out how to get the misaligned, copied surfaces to join.  I have tried a number of different things.  So, I am hoping someone can guide me in solving this issue.   I think if i can work thru this exercise it will help me work thru other issues.

Thanks!

Brian C.

7 REPLIES

Re: Fixing a vendor model

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

(view in My Videos)
@BrianC I was able to copy the top surfaces together and it was a contiguous surface when complete that I was able to thicken without issue.  Be careful you don't accidentally select some small surfaces internally which will cause issues.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Builder
Builder
Ken, first of all thank you for taking the time to look at this. Second.....you did exactly the same thing I did. I’m gonna try it again.

Builder
Builder
Ken, would you please try it again but change the direction to thicken down. It works for me in the up direction but not the down direction.

@BrianCFails for me too in the down direction using .125, however it did work using .01

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Hi @BrianC

Hi @KennyG

Watching the video only I can see two smaller areas in the upper corners where I suppose the surface curvature less than the 0.125.

And this - so I will suppose -will prevent  a thicken to that side.

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder
@hawcad
@KennG

I offset the surface .125 and then thickened "up". This workflow was successful. So why do you suppose offsetting the surface and then thickening up worked? I would think that the first work flow is doing the same thing?

Hi @BrianC

so seeing the results we must assume that the mathematics behind is not 100% the same.

But again this only can be solved by the developers only.

Maybe it's worth to send it as PR to GTAC.

regards
Wolfgang