Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Fit in a Mini Assembly

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I've been on this mini assembly all afternoon. These three parts are in this video are all one assembly. I want to adjoin all three parts to create one. However, I've tried using Flash Fit all goes on is the whole parts light up. Tried steering wheel all I get is no luck. 

I would like to use Flash Fit to get a union. Any thoughts!

http://screencast.com/t/0OfklVYJ

Greg

3 REPLIES

Re: Flash Fit in a Mini Assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Greg, the details that are being highlighted are all in the same part file or subassembly file. You must edit their relationships there, where you created them.

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Greg,

I'm still not 100% what you are trying to achieve, but.... FlashFit will create relationships to put the parts together, but it will not create a union of the parts to make a single part if that is what you are trying to accomplish. You would need to use some other method to create the union as a single part (creating a new part file then using Part Copy to insert the assembly, translating the assembly out as Parasolid and then translating it back in as a part file, etc.) As far as why the whole assembly is "highlighting" when you select the face using FlashFit, that is because the assembly relationship commands use the active level components for creating the relationships - when a part is in a subassembly, it is the subassembly that is being positioned, not the individual parts, so that is why the whole assembly is changing display. If you want the individual parts to be positioned, you would need to either edit the subassembly that contains those parts and create the relationships there or convert the subassembly into an adjustable assembly in the assembly where you are currently trying to create the relationships.

Hope this helps,

Greg

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Greg,

in addition to the previous 2 comments.....

The 'part' that you are trying to select is actually what's known as a Group of Parts or Assemblies.

To solve your problem start a new Assembly and bring the 3 individual parts into it. They should assemble with no problem.  Then save this whole assembly and bring it into the top level as a single sub-assembly.

If indeed you do want to fuse these 3 parts rather than simply assemble them you can do that too.  Let us know if that's what you want.

HTH

Frank

Edinburgh University