Flat Pattern Doubt !!!

Experimenter
Experimenter

HI

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS SOME WAY TO FLAT THE BLANK BY STEP, EXAMPLE THE PART HAS 4 BEND AND I WOULD LIKE TO PLAN ONLY TWO.

WHY ?

I`LL  USE IMAGES STEP BY STEP TO GENERATE A BENDING PLAN.

Thank's for your time !

4 REPLIES

Re: Flat Pattern Doubt !!!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What are you trying to do, create a bend table with back gage information? 

There are only two states for each piece of sheet metal. Formed and flat. The inbetween states can't exist in the same file to be drafted at the same time.

Here is the main trick: Display tangent lines in addition to the bend lines in the flat pattern. Subsiquent bends along the same line need to be dimensioned from inside of previus bend to the next bend line, then add a radius and thickness. This is the only way to get a real bend table. 

Also know that the only way to display the numbers to do make are using annotation. Variable can't be placed into table on a cell be cell basis until ST 10.

If you are trying to create true bend table, I can show you how, but it's not easy.

Here are some movies that include how I do the bend table. Lots of variables to get it done. four variables for each bend plus linked in radius and thickness for each part, and this assumes all bends are 90 deg. For other angles it can become more complex or not possible.

There to so much work to do this right, you want to set it up so that it updates when the gage changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtM7S6-4f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v83IhzyjeLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FPHJSDIW8

Legend
Legend

Not possible in a simple way, I've always saved it as a "XXXX_bend-1" or other type name.

Here's an example of why I've had to do it. The two bend ends views are different .psm files. Standard press brake bending or folder. Flat dims are for reference only, I prefer the shop to measure bent flange dims and adjust from there. 

CAM26491.jpg

-Craig

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Kikute

Edgers,

I had a similiar request a couple of years ago, to show every step for a follow-up cutting tool, having the single step variants o sheet.

The way I solved that was to model the complete sheet metal part with all bends, and creating a suppress feature variable for every bending.

From this master model (finished model) I defined the production steps as a familiy of parts using  those suppresion variables.

Saving out them gave me the complete step-by-step process of production for that sheetmetal part.

I modified an existing macro for automatically import them into one single assembly, with given offset and number (e.g. two parts of same step) to show the sheet band for manufacturing.

AFAIK thee will be no easier or faster way till now.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have reduced what it takes for full bending tables to a minimum. But it is still the most time consuming part of drafting for me. I have suggested a better method they could offer us for this in my "BIG ER" letter I posted a few weeks ago. 

I am required to deliver bend tables for about 20 new pieces of sheet metal per day.