Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern View Behavior- Does ANYONE like it?

Phenom
Phenom

I have been driven nuts by the wonky view switching in ST9 when going into flat pattern. I imagine the desired behavior is to always be looking at the flat pattern 'normal'.  Not only does it now eat up time and disorient me to transition the view back and forth when all I wanted to do was regenerate the flat pattern to look for an error, but it also glitches out with older files and I end up looking at the flat pattern from some crazy incorrect angle. On details that are very close to symmetrical, the auto view movement that occurs also makes it extremely difficult to then tell correct part orientation and often sends me into the flat pattern feature again to recheck X direction element choice. 

Does anyone actually appreciate this new feature?

-Dylan Gondyke
13 REPLIES

Re: Flat Pattern View Behavior- Does ANYONE like it?

Phenom
Phenom

Yeah I don't like the way it does this either. They should either do a slower transition to the flat, or get rid of it all together because when it transitions it always looks backwards to me how it does it. And I too get some of the flats oriented in the wrong direction. I end up looking at the edge of the flat a lot more than at some funky angle, but I have see that as well.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Betreff: Flat Pattern View Behavior- Does ANYONE like it?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Chally72

sorry for asking in  that greenly manner, but is the bahviour different to that one in ST8 or ST7?

For me it seems exactly the same as it was for a long time, or do I miss something.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I believe this behavior is new with ST9, but I skipped ST8. I would prefer a checkbox option to turn this auto-view-movement off, if the bugs cannot be worked out of it. What is the point of shifting the view if sometimes you look at an edge, sometimes it gives you a three quarters view, sometimes it flips the rotation of the straight on view....All you're doing to the poor guy at the keyboard is making his CAD model dance for no reason. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The relation between bent part and flat patterns have not changed from ST6 through ST9. At least for me, and I do mainly sheet metal. I'm not saying it's all perfect, but nothing has really changed.

My main gripe is that flat patterns can fail from varius configurations of 3 way corners that blows up everything I have going on down stream of the flat pattern (Drafting & Variables for custom bend table)

Hi @12GAGE

Yes, this is the same what I fell and think.

It is as it always was!

At least the last 5 years.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Seriously, none of you guys have experienced the flat pattern ending up showing from the side instead of from the top? I mean you're in the top view orientation, but the flat is oriented differently so you are looking at the edge? Nobody? I've noticed it more with older parts but still I see it rather frequently.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you look at the flat pattern within the context of an assembly that can happen because it will use the coordinate system of the assembly.

But if you have the sheet metal part open by it's self, you will not have this problem.

Hi @nominus38

no I never have looked onto a flat pattern from the side.

Always from top!

regards
Wolfgang

@Chally72 & @nominus38,

I have encountered this a few times, BUT, I also note, that I had made substantial changes to those part models, that altered both the face the flatten was set on, AND, the edge it was oriented with......so I wasn't really expecting any better than I got.

Never really seemed like a big deal to me, an improvement if anything, to reset the flatten to a new arrangement, especially when in previous versions, you would just get an error, and be forced to totally remake the flatten.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000