Flat bottom drills

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but thought it might be worth a discussion here.  We often drill flat bottom holes here for spring pockets and such.  Not a big deal to model, of course, you just omit the drill tip.  The issue we run into alot is in the draft side.  If the engineer detailing the print, forgets the hole is flat bottom, the standard callout doesn't differentiate it from a normal hole.  Then from the manufacturing side, it gets drilled normally, and the full diameter of the hole is short by the tip length.  We have an in-house standard, that all holes are spec'd to drill tip, and not full diameter.  So has anyone else figured out a trick to catch these rascals autamatically when your detailing?

Thanks,

Russ 

17 REPLIES

Re: Flat bottom drills

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure of a clean way. The one who models it could put a PMI annotation on it with, say, size and depth followed by wording of your choice: "FLAT BOTTOM", etc. Then the detailer could use "retrieve dimensions" with only annotations selected, for example.

Edit: Seems like it would be useful to add a custom note field to the hole dialog. Sort of like how weld symbols work.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What I read, when I saw this post title...."Flat bottom drills" was a similarly phrased song title, that follows with - you make the rocking world go around.

...and now, I have that song is stuck in my head. Robot wink

Yes, I see this as an issue also, luckily we normally also draft the models we create, so are aware, not to say it couldn't be missed easily, of the need to note it out.

It would be nice to have "automagic" provision for this, within the callout details - options box, with "detect drill end condition", or similar.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

We also use Flat Bottom Drill. We also draft all our files. Also have a special note for these occasions. Ive found that if the flat bottom hole is shown in a view, not callout properly, majority of the time we get a call from the person building the tool. Our tool makers are told if there not sure, call the engineer.

This is one of those discipline of drafting. making sure everything is called out right. Were all human and will miss stuff.  Right now there's now way SE can recognize a flat bottom hole for a note, maybe someday.

Are all your stuff built in house? if so, the you have to make them all aware if your not sure, come see you or call

Builder
Builder

I see in the modeling hole dialog menu there is the option check box for "V bottom angle". I don't know anything about the Macro programming in SE, but maybe someone coud use wether that property is checked or not to make an automatic flat bottom note when the drawing is dimensioned? Also, its odd that your company uses the dimension to the drill tip as the "Hole Depth" dimension, most machine shops I have worked in prefer to use the full diameter as the "Hole Depth" dimension, since there can be quite a variation in the actual tip angle of drills, especially if they're hand sharpened. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SeanCresswell, "It would be nice to have "automagic" provision for this, within the callout details."

That's what I was getting at with a special note field in the hole creation dialog. Adding info here could supplement the callout spec.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

According to the ANSI standard, all blind holes have their depth dimensions specified as the distance that the full diameter of the hole extends into the part.  The drill point extends beyond the specified depth for a hole.  Why would you set an internal standard that is contrary to standard practice, which was defined to avoid this type of confusion?  Standard practice is to dimension to the full diameter, and if the tip or lack of drill point is required, it must be specified either in a note, or with a cross section.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Our company manufactures thermoform tooling.  Alot of different sizes and shapes of cavities.  The standard was put in place because a majority of the drills are for venting and water within the cavity.  These drills commonly come within very close proximity to the formings surfaces, so the depth must be accurately controlled.  The policy was created company wide so that there wouldn't be some parts to one standard, and others to something else.  Many cavities and $ were thrown out before it was decided to institute the policy.

Russ

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SeanCresswell I was thinking the same thing! 

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Skip the drawing and communicate with the 3D model!

Why are we still using 2D tables and paper to communicate simple things like this?

You could even color code the flat bottom holes to flag them if you want. That way you do have a visual clue.