Flat pattern not matching the ordered part

Phenom
Phenom

I'm going to let the video explain what the problem is here. Also attaching a copy of the file. ST9 mp3.

(view in My Videos)

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
6 REPLIES

Re: Flat pattern not matching the ordered part

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @nominus38,

That is strange alright....maybe it's something to do with using hole features in a curved face. I have always added my holes in the unbent state.

I got it to work, but added an unbend and used derived to capture the hole edges, then "delete face" on them, using the derived curves to make a cutout & then rebent it.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Betreff: Flat pattern not matching the ordered part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @nominus38

I have seen the error SE is making when flatten this part.

What else I could found out was that when changing the slot width form 0.01" to at least 0.25" then the flat pattern is OK.

So this seems to be also a question of internal tolerances I suppose.

But nevertheless I have found a way to solve it and IMHO to even create Your part easier using the method of building a full part body before with creating a sheet metal part out of it

See example below.

I starting in sync - what is not necessary but makes hole creating a lot easier since You can put them into one single hole feature with the 90degeres angle dim and z position dim

First I tried to do it with a split line on top tanget but this doesn't work so I put a cutout feature on it

Convert it to sheet metahl and see the result!

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @nominus38

here is the video showing how I have created Your Sheet Metal Part with holes:

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Flat pattern not matching the ordered part

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

It seems problem is that, small hole is laying on "virtual bend line". In this case I suggest toggle "Maintain hole in the flat pattern" off. Is this a bug? I don't know, but behaviour of SE is strange... Smiley Very Happy

BR,

ps.: but it works well with normal cutout & "simple" cutout... Smiley Frustrated

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @nominus38

Hi @Imics

what also make SE solving this issue is to use a "Überganglappen"  20161201_1454.PNG (this is one of the reasons looking for an Englsih manual)  instead of a contour flange.

It seems to haveing to do with those bend line in the middle of the surface and so in the middle of the hole together with certain tolerance issues

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

so after gfinally getting an Englsih Solid Edge tutorial I can give You the correct name of the sheet metal function I've talked before:

"Lofted Flange"

regards
Wolfgang