Flatten Visualisation

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Does anyone know an easy way to apply a surface pattern (ideally a grid) to a surface which can then be viewed when the part is flattened, as in the picture below? I want to be able to visualise where individual points end up on the blank but the only ways I've thought how to do it seem rather tortuous.  If possible I'd like not to cut into the part in any way. I'm using ST9 (academic) so I'm afraid the Part file would be no use to any of you as it won't open with a commercial license.2017-03-21_15-57-31.png

Edinburgh University
7 REPLIES

Re: Flatten Visualisation

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could output a step file then upload that so anyone can open it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

yesterday the first idea I had was to use an "Etch" feature together with a pattern to get what was wanted.

But I must recognize, that etch only is possible onto flat surface and not to any bend one.

Also a "Unbend", sketch and etch only produces the etch on the first surface and not onto all of them, even they are coplanar.

"Project Curve" and "Wrap Sketch" also don't work here.

Hope, that there is anybody who founds a way

regards
Wolfgang

PLM World Member Legend

Thanks Bruce, I'll post a STEP file asap but I'm out of the office today.

Edinburgh University

PLM World Member Legend

Wolfgang, thanks for taking the time to try these out. I thought of Wrap Sketch but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.  I aslo thought it might be possible to simply put a fill pattern onto the rendering but I can't do that either.

If I can figure out how I used to attach and view Textures I might try and make up a grid jpeg file to apply and see if that works.

I'll post it here if it does!

Frank

Edinburgh University

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @FrankMill

finally I found a way to get Your grid

Since etch features will not be possible I tried it with small cutouts and curved and circular pattern.

OK. calculation time were a view seconds but You can see the opening of Your grid curves reagrding to the flattening of the sheet metal.

Here is a picture and I will add the psm too

20170322_1625.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

PLM World Member Legend

Thanks Wolfgang!  I didn't think this approach would work well but the way you patterned the holes makes sense, and it works. This must have taken some time and thought and I'm very grateful, as will be our School of Music!

Frank

Edinburgh University

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @FrankMill

welcome and I'm happy being able to help - although this solution for surely will not be the best, but it works

regards
Wolfgang