Solved! Go to solution
Highlighted

Flatten a pyramid made of surfaces

Hey,

so I made a pyramid with a cutout using surfaces only. I need to flatten it like a typidal sheetmetal flatten but I do not want to create a part to do it. If i use the Blank Surface feature i get something like a circle (more or less) because there are no open edges. So is it possible to "rip-edge" for closed surface shapes and make a sheetmetal-like flatten? 

Man, I don't even know how to describe it all. Also, I cannot do a step file as there is no material thickness.

Using ST7.

8 REPLIES

Re: Flatten a pyramid made of surfaces

[ Edited ]

Aleksandr wrote:

Hey,

so I made a pyramid with a cutout using surfaces only. I need to flatten it like a typidal sheetmetal flatten but I do not want to create a part to do it. If i use the Blank Surface feature i get something like a circle (more or less) because there are no open edges. So is it possible to "rip-edge" for closed surface shapes and make a sheetmetal-like flatten? 

Man, I don't even know how to describe it all. Also, I cannot do a step file as there is no material thickness.

Using ST7.

You need to use the "convert to sheetmetal" tool.

Example in attachment

(view in My Videos)

[ Edited ]

@Fiorini's solution is the perfect way of doing it,though I think from memory that the function he uses was only introduced in ST8 or 9???

The 'old' way is to;

1. Manually rip (break) the non-joined edges
  2. Manually round the edges with the correct bend radius
  3. Use the Thicken command to give the surfaces the right material thickness
  4. Make sure you're in the Part Environment (i.e. not sheet metal environment, you can switch using the application menu in ST7)
  5. Use the Thin Part to Sheet Metal command to turn it into sheet metal that can be flattened

It's a much more awkward procedure, and can be quite tempermental, so getting it to work around your apex might be tricky, so if possible I'd upgrade to ST9!

Well, I know how to make it flat if I add material (be it in sheet metal or part environment) but my particular problem lies in flattening the surfaces. Yes, the outcome would be pretty much the same shape but I would like to keep only surfaces. I hope I make my point clear...I don't really know how to describe it in another way Smiley Happy
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aleksandr
‎05-08-2017 05:04 AM

[ Edited ]

Aleksandr wrote:
Well, I know how to make it flat if I add material (be it in sheet metal or part environment) but my particular problem lies in flattening the surfaces. Yes, the outcome would be pretty much the same shape but I would like to keep only surfaces. I hope I make my point clear...I don't really know how to describe it in another way Smiley Happy

This is not possible.

The kind of flattening you want to perform (unbend) is possible only with a solid model input. This is due to the fact that Sheet Metal is made for specific production tools (cold bending machine) and need to calculate the result based on various paramenters to determine the unbend lenght of a corner.

You can extract a surface from a flattened solid body but is not exactly your purpose and you would need to do some cleanup of the "flattened bend" area.

oh, I see. I spent like an hour trying different commands Smiley Happy no wonder i had no success. Thank You for clearing this up for me!

One more thing: How to do a flat from a cone which has a random cutout.
This time i made it with thickness but there are no edges to rip Smiley Happy Any suggestions on this matter?

You will have to split the cone yourself and use the techniques mentioned above to flatten. The software will not put a split it for you. I'd also advise cutting a couple of mm off the top apex to let that flatten properly as it's an impossible point with sheet metal.

Yes, figured that much. Thanks for the help.