Flattening Part

Hi All,

I’ve got a problem with flattening a part. The part is not something in which I have created myself. I’ve extracted it from an assembly and tried to convert it into sheet metal. However a pop up error message states "The input model contains non-sheet metal faces that must be removed before transforming". Ive studied the part and theres nothing really unusual about it.

Attached is a picture giving visual image of the part.

I’ve never came across this before? Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Would Body Flatten Command work for this? If so would it be possible for someone to create a short tutorial?

Many Thanks,

Darren

16 REPLIES

Re: Flattening Part

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Darren,

I have encountered this with imported parts before, the most common I've seen, is when there is partial thickness cutouts....but to be sure about your specific issue, I [we] would need to review the actual file.

Any chance you can share it?

By the way, what version of Solid Edge are you using??

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Hi Sean,

Unfortunately i cant share the file due to customers preventions. What would you do if it was a partial thickness cutout?

Im working on ST6, im aware we have ST8 now just waiting for my new 64-bit computer to do the upgrade.

Phenom
Phenom

Does the highlighted face have bends down both sides as well as across the top ?

If so that is possibly the reason.

One will need to be an open joint not a bend.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

No there's a open joint down the middle. That was my initial thought.

Builder
Builder

I frequently run into these problems. I usually just copy the inside of the sheet metal part with copy surfacing command, delete the parent and then thicken the resulting surface. Alternatively, I delete all radii in sync, make it a "boxy" part then convert to sheet metal and add radii back as I do so.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

DARREN-EVENWOOD wrote:

Unfortunately i cant share the file due to customers preventions. What would you do if it was a partial thickness cutout?

Hi Darren,

In the case of the partial thickness cuts that interfere with the converting to sheet metal process, I would create derived curves [but only bother with this, if the cutout will be required as a Solid Edge created model feature] and delete the faces of any existing cutout.

There are other things that it could be......in your image, is the highlighted flange the system generated one that has the issue? Be wary of "Twisted" faces too....as the sheet metal paradigm is based around flat panels & straight brake folding. There are ways to get formed looking shapes, but only with SE generated files, imported data has a limitation there.

It could also be that there are collision conditions with one of the edges, into the body. Hard to tell without the model to interrogate....but understand fully about customer file privacy.

Sean Cresswell

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

If there is a partial thickness cutout that is the culprit then probably the way forward would be to delete that feature and recreate it after converting to sheetmetal.  The other month I created a sheetmetal part containing a partial thickness cutout and it would still flatten OK.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, spoton Chris.

Though parts created in the sheet metal environment are OK,...it's more when using a part model [or imported data] & converting it to sheet metal, with a partial thickness cut out, or worse, with a coliding edge [those "normally" only need a "Rip" applied], will result in the error. [like the pic below]....

ST8_PSM_Part2Sheetmetal.png

Sean Cresswell

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Absolutely Sean.  Sometimes you need to be prepared to do a bit of "hacking and whacking" to get those parts into shape prior to converting to sheetmetal rather than expecting Solid Edge to be a "miracle worker".