Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flattening a solid part converted to sheetmetal

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I created a tank and used Thinwall to make the thickness 0.0598 (16 gauge I think).  I switched to Sheetmetal and ripped the corners. Next I went to Tools/Flatten and Flat/Flat Pattern to flatten the part.  It's asking me for the upward face, but I cannot select any of the faces.  How do I flatten this piece?

Thanks,

Ali

5 REPLIES

Re: Flattening a solid part converted to sheetmetal

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I always seem to find this process confusing in terms of what commands to use when. But I got it to work by deleting the rip feature, then using "thin part to sheet metal", then "Flatten".

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I finally got it to work based on your instructions and trial and error.  There are just too many paths and the built-in help is next to useless.  In the main menu there is an option to "Switch to Sheet Meta,l" in Tools there is a Part to Sheetmetal transformrm and there is also a thin wall to sheet metal.  Can't they combine these paths?Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is "Retrieve Dimension" option supposed to work with flattened parts?  I added the flattened view in draft, but when I click on the "Retrieve Dimensions," no dimension is retrieved.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

SPXAli wrote:

There are just too many paths and the built-in help is next to useless.

I can't fault that statement. As for retrieve dims, IDK.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@SPXAli wrote:

Is "Retrieve Dimension" option supposed to work with flattened parts?  I added the flattened view in draft, but when I click on the "Retrieve Dimensions," no dimension is retrieved.

@SPXAliNo, because the dimensions which are driving are the one's you created to make the formed part, those are the dimensions it will retrieve. The flat pattern is driven by the formed part, so as far as I know you can maybe retrieve the overall dimensions, but that would be it unless you created any features within the flat pattern, in which case it would retrieve those dims used to create those features.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"