Solved! Go to solution

Flattening a solid part converted to sheetmetal

Hi,

I created a tank and used Thinwall to make the thickness 0.0598 (16 gauge I think).  I switched to Sheetmetal and ripped the corners. Next I went to Tools/Flatten and Flat/Flat Pattern to flatten the part.  It's asking me for the upward face, but I cannot select any of the faces.  How do I flatten this piece?

Thanks,

Ali

4 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎10-22-2015 05:49 PM

Re: Flattening a solid part converted to sheetmetal

I always seem to find this process confusing in terms of what commands to use when. But I got it to work by deleting the rip feature, then using "thin part to sheet metal", then "Flatten".

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I finally got it to work based on your instructions and trial and error.  There are just too many paths and the built-in help is next to useless.  In the main menu there is an option to "Switch to Sheet Meta,l" in Tools there is a Part to Sheetmetal transformrm and there is also a thin wall to sheet metal.  Can't they combine these paths?Smiley Sad

Is "Retrieve Dimension" option supposed to work with flattened parts?  I added the flattened view in draft, but when I click on the "Retrieve Dimensions," no dimension is retrieved.

[ Edited ]

SPXAli wrote:

There are just too many paths and the built-in help is next to useless.

I can't fault that statement. As for retrieve dims, IDK.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200