Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Float relationship use

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi there. I'm a completely new user of SE. I have found what is called a float relationship. Unlike a fixed or a range one, I do not understand what is the use of this one. 

Looking into the help, I have seen that it creates a relationship between 2 components so it later can be driven by another relationship. Which in my mind it translates to "it does nothing". I have been trying to find videos or examples, to no luck. 

Could someone explain me what is the use of this float relationship? 

When I use it, it actually restricts nothing. As an example, a component with 1 last degree of freedom (DOF). If I add a float relationship to that DOF (say an offset), it makes no change at all. So I would have to add another offset on top with a fixed value, and then my component would be positioned. What's it use then?

Cheers. 

===================================================

ST9 and Ordered environment.
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Float relationship use

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

a float relationship is typically used for mates or planar alignments.   the mate is honored but with no dimensional control...  so it creates a parallel relationship that can be at any offset value.

Logic holds true for other relationships as well.  the relationship is honored but the numeric value is not

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Re: Float relationship use

Phenom
Phenom
In my experience this is an important feature to have. Please do not ever use a 0 or 180 degree angle relationship, I find the floating mate or align to be much more robust, especially when the two components may have a sliding type of motion. Also, works well when locking rotation in an axial align does not work, again seems to be much more stable than an angle relation, and much quicker too.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Betreff: Float relationship use

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @-Axel-

as best said by @Johnson_BigMatt the best example and most used will be a Floating Planar Relation.

Imagine a hexagon nut somewhere on a plane and axial aligned to the hole already.

And - for better drwaing YOu would like to have one hex plane to be parallel to the major part plane.

You do not knwo the distance of the hole center (axis) to that outside plane nor the exact hexagon width, but it does not matter at all.

You just want to have that hex plane "parallel" to the outside plane.

here You say Floating (what means, I do not care about the distance value ) but it should be parallel.

And do not mix up "parallel" (which is for lines/edges) and floating planar (which is for planes)

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad What you are describing is what I would call an align mating condition- where the surface normals are parallel to each other, not necessarily on the same plane- unlike mate which opposes the surface normals and makes them planar. 

Here's what's in the SE 2019 Fundamental course:

Capture.PNG

Pioneer
Pioneer

Cheers. Yes, all my misconception is that I was expecting there to be a "parallel" mate somewhere, but there isn't. I'm coming from SW, so I wasn't seeing the purpose of that float IF there were a parallel or planar floating relation somewhere, but since there isn't, yes, now I see the point. Thanks. 

Phenom
Phenom

@-Axel- I'm not far behind you. I have 25+ of UG/NX and we would just use a secondary align constraint/relation to solve that problem. The solver should be able to solve two align conditions..afterall, in the background, all three softwares are using the same solver! That's the tough thing with systems like this. There is always more than one way to get from point a to point b!

Phenom
Phenom

If you use the FlashFit option the offset will be fixed & set automatically.

Its the same if you set the 'Use distance between faces as default offset".

Float does exactly what it is designed to do and allows an alignment to adjust as required by other constraints.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @beachcomber , sorry to reopen this topic. About the Default Offset option with FlashFit, do you know why it might not be working? The option is checked, and I am using FlashFit, but the parts keep going to offset 0 when I mate them, making it annoying to pre-check the offset to re-position it after mating.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@-Axel- wrote:

Hi @beachcomber , sorry to reopen this topic. About the Default Offset option with FlashFit, do you know why it might not be working? The option is checked, and I am using FlashFit, but the parts keep going to offset 0 when I mate them, making it annoying to pre-check the offset to re-position it after mating.

Hi @-Axel- . The default offset option does not apply to FlashFit. The option is used for connect relationships between two points, planar relationships between two parallel faces, and parallel axis relationships between two parallel lines. For Match Coordinate Systems, the planar relationship rule will be applied for each of the three planes formed by the coordinate systems.

Hope this helps,

Greg