Floating License Server

Phenom
Phenom

Caterpillar is getting ready to move all of our Solid Edge data and our Solid Edge License Server off of the local server we use now to a remote server in Peoria, IL at the company's headquarters. I have been asked by our IT people to find out if it is possible to obtain an SE license that does not require a dongle on the server.

Apparently they have several other types of software using Flex licensing that do not require dongles. The obvious problem being that I will have to mail/ship the dongle out to them and we will not have the floating license available while it is in transit. I know I can get temproary or emergency licenses to cover us during the transit time, but they really do not want to have to install a server dongle in Peoria.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking perhaps some of the larger users like Pella or Ditchwitch might be using a dongless license arrangement.

If I don't hear anything from the group I will give Huntsville a call tomorrw to see what we can sort out. I just thought I would check in here first.

Thanks in advance

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC
13 REPLIES

Re: Floating License Server

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
You will have to work with your VAR do to the license change, because I believe there is some extra paperwork involved to decommission the dongle and start another key. (Otherwise you can run one license on the dongled server and another on the dongless server.)

We transitioned to virtual servers and I vaguely remember going to through this process and getting the CID (running the little SE app to find the CID) of the virtual machine and setting the license to it. At least, we wanted to. I don't know if IT ever followed through and did that.

Phenom
Phenom

I will check with our VAR to see what we need to do.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Henry

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can get floating licenses that are locked to your server NIC address in the US.  That is what we are running.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom
Thanks! I contacted our VAR and they confirmed that we need to do some paperwork to make this happen, but it is doable.

The bad part will be accessing all of our data across a 100 mbit connection between Houston, PA and Peoria, IL. I am guessing I am going to be drinking a lot more coffee waiting on large assemblies to load compared to what I am used to with a gigabit network.

Bob Henry

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
They aren't going to mirror the server for you? OUCH!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you running a PDM system so at least your files will be cached locally?

Thanks,
Ken

Phenom
Phenom

That is a big no to a mirror site and no,we don't have PDM, so no local caching either. It is going to be painful. They are moving all of the servers out of the Houston, PA facility including all of the Pro E data which is managed with Windchill. so we will all be sharing a 100 mbit pipe between Houston, PA and Peoria, IL.

About a year ago they wanted to do this and I worked with local IT to prove to them that working with assemblies as large as our highwall miner would virtually shut us down. They listened then, but no there is no negotiation this time. Caterpillar wants all their data at the mother ship in Peoria.

Cat recently closed our Beckley, WV facility and moved our product line to the Houston, PA manufacturing facility. Only three of us relocated to Hoston, PA. We lost an incredible amount of knowledge, much of it tribal knowledge from the shop floor, and now we will be faced with a virtually unworkable situation with Solid Edge. We will eventually have to move to Pro E, but that appears to be a year or more out, maybe longer.

Bob Henry

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Bob

If a mirror is a no go, try to convince (capable) management of using WAM appliances. Have a look at brands like Riverbed (www.riverbed.com), Silver peak (www.silver-peak.com) or Blue Coat (www.bluecoat.com).
This will allow HQ to host the files, but reducing a lot of traffic over the line.

P.S. the 100mb should not be such a problem; latency and chattiness of used protocols will be your enemy.

----------------------------------------------------

Met vriendelijke groet

Marc Boom

E-mail: marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's a good suggestion Marc.  WAM devices allow caching of data at the bit level as well as network optimization and compression techniques to improve throughput.  The biggest boon for SE is the bit caching, so make sure the cache is big enough that it doesn't constantly get flushed by other data.  We have them between our sites but sometimes we have so much data going through them that the SE data get flushed before it's used again.

Thanks,
Ken