Flow drill

Phenom
Phenom

We make a lot treat holes with flowdrill.

Now we just draw a M6 and add a prefix "flowdrill".

How do you do this?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user
8 REPLIES

Re: Flow drill

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could use a saved callout setting.savedcalloutsettings.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I use a Dimension prefix:

2016-07-07 08_10_22-Solid Edge ST8 - Draft - [Part23-Staander.dft].png

That works, but I would like to see the hole like it is in reality. So I could choose in the part environment to draw a real flowdrilled hole and the draft sees this. So I could just use smart dimension the hole.

...........................................................................................................

Genius
Genius

Add it into the hole spreadsheet,

Phenom
Phenom

This is a flowdrilled hole:

HTB1.LVnIpXXXXc3XFXXq6xXFXXXI

Can this be added in the hole spreadsheet?

Genius
Genius

You would need to create a dimple first, if using sheet metal work, but yes you can create the from and and call it what you like in the hole spreadsheet.

Phenom
Phenom

I'll look at that, thanks.

The problem is we mostly use this on tubes. So in the part environment.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Would a feature library entry work for this?  In sheet metal you could createa dimple and add a hole.  In part you could revovle a protrusion, and add a hole.

Legend
Legend

You can add a feature to your feature library  that is a combination of the dimple and the hole and re-use it.

Here's the trick to get the hole callout to say "Flowdrill M6". Start by inserting a hole. Open the Hole Options dialog. Pick the standard you want to use and then click on the button to the right of the "Standard" dropdown and bring up the Excel hole table for your standard. Find the "threaded" sheet and and you will see a column for Thread Family and a column for Size. If you have more than one thread with the same nominal diameter each one has to have its own thread family. Scroll down to, say, M6. Insert a blank line and copy the M6 line into it. Change the family in the new line to Flowdrill and change the Size to "Flowdrill M6" or whatever you want the callout to read. Close the spreadsheet and then close the hole dialog. Start the hole insertion process again, open the Hole Options dialog, select your standard and click on the size dropdown button. You should see the new size entry in the list. Pick it and insert the hole. Now a callout that includes "Thread Size" (%TS) will show the new name. For a bonus in sync, if you select the hole the label that pops up will also be the new thread name.

Using SE since V12, 2002