Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Format File Name in Property Text

The problem comes when you need or you want to change the name of a product. If you want the VW Golf to be named VW Golfy you have a problem. You have named all your parts as VW Golf_YourPart.par. So you need to change all the names and take care of the broken links.

But I suppose that if you have fill the properties with the wrong name, you have to open and change all those properties in your parts anyway.

Regards,
Iker
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I think you are overlooking some of the functionality of the Solid Edge software in relation to the Windows OS.

As for the use of part numbers, there is a reason why this is considered as the de facto standard for "labelling" parts in all industries.

If I take your simplified example from earlier...

VolkswagenGolfDoor_Window.part
VolkswagenGolfDoor_Handle.part
VolkswagenGolfDoor_Spring.part

Now, let's see what happens with numbers:

021574498.par
021548686.par
021589546.par 

Just by using the Solid Edge properties and adding columns to the Windows Explorer I can use the part number for my file name and still very easily identify my spring or handle file by using the Solid Edge properties.  This is what it looks like in Windows Explorer...

2017-06-09 13_55_43-C__Temp_SampleParts.png

How is this difficult to [visually] locate your spring for your Volkswagen Golf Door?  Yet, I still have a part number being used as the filename.

Similarly, when in the assembly you can drag and drop from Windows Explorer by quickly locating your part as shown above or you can use the Search function in the Parts Library tab to quickly locate a file based on its Solid Edge property values. 

2017-06-09 13_54_49-Solid Edge ST9 - Assembly - [Asm2].png

Again how is this difficult to find your correct file to reuse?

You are right.
No doubt now that I overlooked the software's functionality.
Your example is great and I really appreciate it because it took you some time to do it.

At this moment we are in a point of changing our internal system strategy and this kind of information is really useful.

Regards,
Iker.

Siemens Phenom

I will also add that if you make use of the Solid Edge properties, then obviously each of these properties can be added onto your Draft sheet in whatever arrangement you so desire.

Also, if you were to implement this and needed to backfill properties and rename a large number of already existing files to your new strategy, you can use the Data Prep tools to quickly and easily add properties, rename files, etc. in bulk

Yes, your first answer was not only a solution for my very first question but a deeper answer for deeper questions...

Thanks again!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@uk_dave How's the Title look in the Parts Library pane?

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Legend
Legend

I'd keep the file names as is, not a huge deal. But, you're going to have to fill out the properties of that file, and have it show whatever you want on your drafts. Use the Title, Subject, Category, etc and make your drafts look like you wish.

Siemens Phenom

@KennyG unfortunately you cannot add columns to the Parts Library pane like you can with Windows Explorer.

There is an existing ER requesting this [useful] functionality. 

Hi again,

I've been playing around with SE properties and Windows10 Explorer and the properties do not show up.

Am I missing someting?

Regards,

Iker.

Siemens Phenom

The default Solid Edge properties should show up without any additional work on your part.

Custom Solid Edge properties will require you setting up and running the Fast Property Search in your Solid Edge  Options.  This will include having to define your custom properties you want to index and see in Windows Explorer within the propseed.txt file.

Following the same example I used previously you can see that I have a custom Solid Edge property called ModelYear.  I have added this to my propseed.txt file, updated my Solid Edge fast PropertySearch options, indexed my file locations, and now the custom property can be seen in Windows Explorer.

2017-06-12 21_44_33-C__Program Files_Solid Edge ST9_Preferences_propseed.txt - Notepad++ [Administra.png