Formed Sheet Metal - Floating Internals

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi All,

I get this [see image] sort of problem from time to time, with text [other than stencil type fonts] or any floating internal profiles, and it is really annoying to have to make such work arounds, not only for the model creation, but the draft and ultimately [in this case] the laser cutting "Save As Flat" [...DXF]. I can't give my client a drawing with the completed assembly displayed, because of this!

The text cut out is applied to the unbent form, then the floating internals have to be deleted in order for it to be rebent....but worse still, the flat pattern is now missing the deleted internals, so they have to be added back to the flat pattern. I have done this via a copy/paste of sketch entities prior, as you can probably see in the path finder.

Any better solutions out there? ..or is this just how it is, and will always be, for this kind of work flow.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
3 REPLIES

Sean, when I do stuff like this, I often end up with two...

Phenom
Phenom

Sean, when I do stuff like this, I often end up with two different files and use Insert Part Copy. One is my manufacturing file and the other is the 'customer', or final product, file. I find that for my purposes, (often many customer revisions in a short time period,) adding features back in the flattened state makes the model 'fragile' and has me chasing my tail to get the manufacturing files right if I make an edit.

Doing laser-cut text is always a massive headache for me due to things like my laser interpolating splines incorrectly, (so I have to convert to arc segments,) sheet metal spars or floating bits causing SE to choke, inability to apply complex chamfers/text cutouts to jogs and bends without breaking the model forevermore.....

-Dylan Gondyke

Re: Sean, when I do stuff like this, I often end up with two...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Dylan,.....your way, for the most part, would be how I'd get around it, but in this instance, the curved tapering profile is "un-bent" for the cut-outs to be applied, thefore it could NOT be "re-bent" due to the nature of the cut-outs having disjointed internals. I have pretty good robust [thus far] with adding features to the flat state...and is often the ONLY way to make certain things present for the "Save As Flat" output. I'd like to see "Insert Part Copy" & "Coordinate Systems" added to this level.

There is so much detail in the artwork, that I have not tried it in a wrapped sketch / normal cut-out, method.
I could of course, add thin stencil connector bars, then remove them at the flat pattern level. [better displayed result,...benifit of hind sight] Robot tongue

Our laser team does'nt say too many nasty things to me when I send them this type of file...they seem to be handling it OK through the proprietary software...TruTops.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Sean, when I do stuff like this, I often end up with two...

Phenom
Phenom
Connector spars for me take just as much time, and then seem to end up causing the geometry to fail anyway unless I make them massively wide and keep them nicely perpendicular to the bend. I do try to wrap my sketches when I can, and use Rhino as a go-between often.

TruTops...wish I was using that. SiCam Italian junk and Windows NT laser computer is what I have to work with. Smiley Sad
-Dylan Gondyke