Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Forum layout messed up

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Hi Sean,

The problem is that the latest topics are from ALL of the Solid Edge forums. I do not wish to view posts from 2D drafting, student edition, 45 day trial, etc., just the Solid Edge Forum ones.  So I click on the Solid Edge Forum under the Forums drop-down menu.  Once I am in there I am unable to browse anything older than a few days old.  I was looking for the < Previous 1 2 3 ... 100 Next > link that we have all grown to love but to no avail.  It is not there and should be.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

You're quite right, it absolutely should be there....for every forum!

However, you could "unsubscribe" to those forums, and they should then be ommitted from that "Show All" list.

I'm not certain I have grown to "love" the <Prev - Next> link so much though,....I'd like an option to set it to display all, and continuously scroll through to my target. [if I didn't have a search criteria for it that is]  Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP5] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom
There is an option to sort by Newest to older. That would put all new posts to the top of the listing.

Hi @RyanM,

Doesn't appear to have that same "Option" at the main forum level....

2016-03-29 (3).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP5] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

Well as I read these posts, I'm starting to understand why there are so many disconnects with how this is laid out. I think it boils down to what THIS Forum needs to be, versus what a typical forum is used for.

Simply put, MOST Forums are a based on an interest or subject... that's the products. But when it comes to a CAD Support Forum, there are different requirements... bare with me here for a bit.

If I was interested in Civil War discussions as a hobby spending hours reading and communicating would be the PURPOSE or reasoning for my interest. So reading and spending time there would be the purpose of enjoyment.  But as much as there is a part of that here, the main purpose for Solid Edge Users coming here is for information that pertains specifically to Solid Edge use and solving problems. This community has always been a wealth of help to everyone... and usually "time is of the essence" situations. So if you surveyed the USER base, you'd find many come here for answers, not to pursue a hobby. Again the USER's "product" is what they're designing... however most forums ARE THE PRODUCT. This is the distinction that I feel the designers of this forum are missing.

This Forum needs to be designed to reflex it's USER's view, and not some variant of a forum talking about the Kardasians, or how corrupt Hillary is... sorry I couldn't resist. Information here should be organized so the user can get what they want easily without having to go through a lot  of stuff that's of no interest at the time.

So the top Section should be ALL Topics you've commented on... say the past 5 or 10, with the ability to see more. WHY? well because obliviously you as a user found it important. Again this should be organized or customizable for the USER and not based on some other forum structure.

The next section should be New Topics... again maybe 5, 10 or so with an option to see more. Maybe separate them by date. If you come here every day then a date would help sort things out logically.

That's it... it's that simple.  Muddying everything into the same screen section is just silly. And what's with the "LABEL" section does anyone really use that. This is an example of a programmer thinking this is relevant information... Please look at this and tell what value it has to the User:

labels.jpg

Again this looks like something taken from some programmers blog.  I look at this and I ask myself who thought this information had anything to do with Solid Edge Users.  But hey it's prominent position says YUP.... the users really need this!

Anyway I can go on, as you all know, but I just am stunned sometimes as to some of the decisions being made....

Sorry but I look at the old Newsgroup as the best example. It was so simple... it actually worked. I could look in my email and see there were 21 new comments, all highlighted in their respective place in the Folder Tree, and I would only see the new ones. The others were there but marked as read. So at a quick glance I could see who made a comment on something of interest to me.... if there were 21 comments and none were of interest to me now, I could quickly get back to work. Then I would return at the end of the day to see what's new or whatever.... again the expediency was what made it so easy to use.

Bob

My .02:

My first impressions on this format are not good, not good at all. All the criticism is warranted IMO.

Where is the redeeming value? I've yet to see any advantage over the old format. All I get out of it is an unwanted learning curve. I heard at SEU15 that there were changes coming. But this? If it ain't fixed don't break it might be apt here.

But I'll stumble around for a while and hope for improvements.

Meanwhile maybe I'll discover why this is really neato, keen and groovy stuff.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend
I have been wondering this for a while but how does one quote another on this forum? I do not see how it is done.

Mlombard, if I do that the text gets kinda hard to read on a 3k res screen.

There's a "quote" button on the upper right of the message formatting bar.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand wrote:

There's a "quote" button on the upper right of the message formatting bar.

was it there on the previous layout - if so why had I never noticed it !

I do find this new format incredibly difficult to read. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and reducing contrast by making text light grey and even lighter grey is just plain stupid. As others have said, there is also so much wasted space.

Please, please please consider the users before making changes like this.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP12 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, Yeah there was a quote function in the old (sniffle) format.

I agree on the contrast problem.

Bruce Shand