Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Forum layout messed up

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Thread "Keyshot fun" is always at the top of the list even though there has been no activity since 3/26.

Anyone know why? And what is that pin symbol to the right? Is that why the Keyshot thread is at the top? If so, how to unpin?

The ability to sort was mentioned. How?

Isn't this fun?

Edit:  There  seem  to  be  cropping  issues  with  the  "Recommended"  list on the right.  It cuts off messages.

SEForum.JPG

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

MLombard
Retired

Bruce,

The Keyshot thread is at the top because of a special request from management to sticky it. The rendering contests had low turnout, but this thread is one place where we can point to some pretty impressive results, without requiring the overhead of running a contest. There are great new additions to the Keyshot thread every now and then, which is enough to keep it stickied. If it ever really goes stale, I will unsticky it.

Keep the comments coming. Very interested in what you all have to say.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I believe that is pinned by the admin.SE-Community Update-2.PNG

BTW - This is what your message looked like on my screen.

@jinglis Thanks. It looks the same as mine...cropped by the stuff on the right. Looks like the first thread or two on the page will get cropped by the stuff on the right. Until it's fixed anyway.

Bruce Shand

@MLombard, Thanks to management for their social engineering efforts. I guess an "ignore thread" option is out of the question.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Yup... same cropped image here as well.

ST9 is suppose to support hi resolution and 4K monitors... would be nice if this Forum did the same.

On my 2560X1600 30" monitor, the forum uses just the middle 50% of the screen, yet needs to crop pages to fit.

For a little positivity here, I like that the avatar/photo shows a notification(s) for threads a user has interest in.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Yep. If you are familiar with the SW forum areas...it works just like theirs.

@RyanM, Google Plus has that look too.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Just finished my lunch and one of my great pleasures is I read the Wall Street Journal... here was a column from today's Opinion page that I found very pertinent.

I’m sorry, but can I disrupt the buzzword industry for a moment? This word suggests that, in the increasingly frantic daily routine of the modern consumer, what he really yearns for is a new product that will explode in his life like a small hand grenade. “Disrupt” and “disruptive” and “disruption” don’t have a positive connotation—or at least they didn’t before some pitchman disrupted their meaning.

If someone shows up when I’m halfway through my lasagna and starts pounding the table because there is something I need to take care of immediately, I don’t think “Oh, good, my dinner has been disrupted.” And it is no better if it is my phone doing the disrupting with flashing and buzzing notifications for a hundred different apps.

What I really want is something that unifies and simplifies the many threads of my life.

As the number of data sources and services increases, and the volume of data from each service rises as well, my life is transitioning from heavily overloaded to catastrophically overloaded. I need something that will cost me fewer button clicks, fewer wasted thought cycles, fewer trips to different digital services before I’m able to see the entire picture. I need products that will release me from the tedium of management—from the chore of being my own file clerk. I need products that help me pull it together and make sense of it all, not ones that wreck the familiar. Because, at the present rate, it won’t be long before the daily administrative overhead is so high that there won’t be time for anything else.

And this applies as much to product design as to what the product does: I don’t need my life disrupted by the struggle of learning how to use a new app, either. You know you’ve encountered bad design in the physical world when you see a fat instruction manual telling you how to do something. The digital world is similar: I want an interface I can understand right away, with no explanation whatsoever—that fits under my fingers as though it has always been there.

With disruption thundering all around, I don’t need more of it. How about some technological peace and quiet? Simplify, please.

Mr. Gelernter is the CEO of the tech startup Dittach.