Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Forum layout messed up

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I think the web developers should go to "human interface" school.  There are jillions of forums around that have got the interface sorted, so you would think that there is a well-established format that could be used.  I thought the last format was perfectly OK but no, it had to be changed.  For example, not having any way of browsing to older posts that are obviously on the next page or beyond seems like a pretty fundamental error to me.  To me, the "Latest Posts" screen is more like advertising for somebody deciding whether the forum might be worth using on a regular basis.  It shows everything from all the sub-forums.  A regular user will only want to view a specific forum e.g. Solid Edge Forum and thus will navigate into there so that he doesn't see all the other crap.  Once in there, the standard way of of viewing posts that have "dropped off the bottom" is to click on the link at the bottom that takes you to the next page.  Now, where is that link?  It isn't there.  Surely you don't have to "unsubscribe" first and then have only the relevant messages in the "Latest Posts" screen?  If that is the case (which I hope it isn't) then why bother with the sub-forums where you can only view the posts from the last day or so?  Somebody needs to sort this out.  Otherwise the forum will take a dive because it will be too much of a hassle to use.

Surely the web developer(s) will be along shortly to fix this, right?

Legend
Legend

Hi everybody,

I can´t see any kind of navigation panel once I´ve entered in a forum, nor page numbers, nor left/right arrows... so I'cant navigate to older topics.

In addition, a blank space appears at the top of the forum under discussion start button.

forum layout.png

I´m using Chrome. IE explorer and Firefox appears to have the same behavior.

Thanks in advance.

Héctor Pelayo Izquierdo
Engineering Department, JAE Ingeniería y Desarrollos, S.L.
Solid Edge ST9 MP5 | NX 9
Development: VB.NET

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Where do bookmarks go. I see that you can still bookmark threads but how do you retrieve items previously bookmarked? Probably in front of me but I can't see it.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

MLombard
Retired

To get to your Bookmarks, click on your image in the header, then select My Subscriptions, and there will be a header for your Bookmarks. It would have been better interface design to put the link to your bookmarks in the list that appears on your header image.

It might be better if you use a folder for bookmarks in your browser.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Hi,

to add another issue concerning me:

Using a mobile device like a tablet, smart phone etc. I'm not able to see the complete page neither to scroll/move it towards the right edge.

Where unforntunately the login button, etc. resides.

Here IMHO is area to improve

regards
Wolfgang

PLM World Member Legend

Just to accentuate the positive and not moan all the time it is good to see that some navigation buttons have been added to the sub-forums!

PLM World Member Legend
And, unfortunately, another observation -- under the old forum format when you clicked on the <Reply> button you would be let to the login screen if you weren't logged in yet. Now when you click <Reply> and you are not already logged in you just go to a screen like what you might see when you are replying (and it even says words to the effect of "Replying to ...") so you think you are now in the process of replying. Unfortunately there is nowhere to type anything because you do not have write access and you sit there going "WTF" and "where do you type the reply?". The automatic redirect to the login screen no longer happens. You are now forced to manually go to the login screen and then come back and try again.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I too had my WTF moment recently when trying to Reply, but quickly realised the style has changed.

Fast getting into the habit of first login then start to explore the new forum which evidently expects us to be more disciplined Smiley Happy

... as long as man can see the login button!

As mentioned before on a mobile device I'm not able to find the login anywhere.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

How do you now search only in the forum you are viewing, rather than the entire community?  Search results come back from all forums.