Frame Cut length and Holes

Phenom
Phenom

I would like to be able to use the Frame meber cut lenth AND be able to cut a hole in that piece at the same time. 

Explination: If I use the frame design portion of SE, then I can get the cut length to display. Once I save that part out so that holes can be cut into it, that variable and the link to the wireframe line goes away.

Is there way way to maintain this link AND cut holes in the strucutral member?

10 REPLIES

Re: Frame Cut length and Holes

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What little I have done with frames, I have done this by using display configurations in the assembly, where all the work takes place.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The question is how are you saving them out?  You should be using "Save Selected Model" found under the App Button, Save As sub menu.  This will result in an associatively linked copy of the tube in a Part file which will update with changes as they occur in the Assy.  You can also place the cuts in the Assy as Assembly features then do the Save Selected Model to detail in a Draft if needed.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

I.E. your work around is to place the part way from the page, dimension it, then place that dimension into the BOM manually? This requires me to overide the BOM for every frame meber that contains a cutout. Exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

My underlying goal is to use the "Cut length" from the fame for part that have cutouts. This way I only need a single BOM configuration for frames.

I was hoping there was some way to keep the cut length working kinda like you can use flat patterns to give you sheet dimensions even when there are no bend.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

What is wrong with using Assembly Features to cut a hole in the frame piece?

Cheers

Mark Fort

Phenom
Phenom

Typical assembly parts don't know what they are made from. I was hoping to automate the cut length of extruded (ANSI) shapes within the BOM. This can be done using the frame capacity until you need to cut a hole in the part. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe we are missing the reason why you can't apply Assembly Features to the frame components.  This allows you to place your holes and get the cut lengths...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The process shown in this movie meets the requirements stated in your first email - as far as I can see.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks all for the help.

Assembly features may be the path of least resistance when I need cuts in extrusions. Up to now, I have compleatly avoided assembly features because of the extra work that requires to detail each part.

How does saving the selected model help vs. Save as, or save as translated? How does that version of export do something special to the file relations or frame relations?

Phenom
Phenom

Grundey,

Are you saying to use frames (and maintain link with wireframe)  that contains holes, only assembly features may be used? (IE cant use assembly driven part features or part features)

Guess I have to figure out the fast way to detail items from views rather than just inserting that part.